Alright, So maybe I'm crazy but I believe I am having seizures in my sleep. I am 17 years old and 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, ADHD, and OCD. I have taken many different medications and am now stable.

I do not know how to explain what happens sometimes in my sleep but I know it scares me. I do not have epilepsy. I am sleeping but am aware that I am shaking, and feel like a can't move. I feel like I'm crazy, I'm going to sound even more crazy when I say that one time I had a dream and then I was talking to someone at work and then I fainted and started having a seizure in my dream,I tried to call out but I couldn't, and then I was aware that I was shaking in reality. Since I have never had a seizure I do not know what they feel like.

How can I know if I am having seizures in my sleep? Since they do not happen all the time I do not know how to 'catch' them or know when to watch for them. What do Seizures feel like? Are there any signs?

I'm not sure if they are seizures, but my schizophrenic fiance shakes in his sleep sometimes. Sometimes he's aware of it and other times he sleeps right through it. It scares me and it's very hard to sleep next to him when he twitches violently like that. Most of the time I get woken up by it and all I can do is pull him closer and rub his back. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't. He may just have weird dreams that makes him shake- that I do not know. Maybe there is a relation to mental disorders and why people with them shake in their sleep. If someone knows, please let me know.

I'm 26 and I've had epilepsy since I was 15. I have had about 6 or 7 grand mal seizures (the kind where I am unconscious and my entire body shakes) which are now controlled by depakote. I know what a seizure feels like, however I recently have been wondering if I could possibly be having them in my sleep as well. There have been several times where at the time I am sure that I am having a seizure because I have tried calling out for help, but am unable to speak. I just feel kind of paralyzed. When I wake up, I really struggle with wondering if it was a real seizure.
Since you have not been diagnosed with epilepsy, you might want to talk to your doctor about this. They may recommend you have an EEG done. If you do an overnight EEG (I've done several of those) it will let them see if your brain activity is different at night.

I am 17 and I think I am having seizures in my sleep too. I am sleeping and I get this weird sound in my ear and then I feel like I am shaking and I cannot move or scream for help. I can stop it after a little while but then it keeps coming back. I cannot move at all while it is happening and it is really freaky. I do have a chiari malformation but nothing else. I have not been able to figure it out online at all and I am going to the doctor soon.

ok im 17 years old an i have this sleeping problem. i havnt been diagonised with anything but when i sleep i start shaking,cant breathe,move,or talk. it used to be i would wake up an then it would happen but its gotten "advanced in my sense of mind to were i will wake up in my dream, see my room an then start to shake an ect. now it happens when i am dreaming an if something happens i will start shaking an ect. all i no is it fatigues the heck out of me sometimes an can happen multiple times. even when im falling asleep it happens. i have had this happen to me at school even. i will wake up all shocked on what happened,heart will be pounding very fast, an i kinda dont remeber what i dream sometimes. if anyone can tell me what this may be please reply so i can get some insight on what might be happening. so you know this has been happening for a year. there are even some nights i can "trigger" them. like i will think about it an then when i sleep in the middle of my dream i jus start doing what i said, shaking,loss of breathe,i even see people or objects sometimes. it feels like my eyes are rolling in the back of my head an sometimes like my brain is even rolling around in my head an it hurt realy bad. jus please reply what u can it would mean alot. sorry for some of the message being in text language. name is elliott by the way. thanks for read.

Did you ever find out what it was causing that? I get totally paralyzed when I'm sleeping. I can't move, wake up or even scream of help. It feels like my brain is rolling over, or like there are butterflies in my head. It's so scary. E-mail me if you have an answer:

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I am a 24 yr old female, I have extreme anxiety and take zoloft and welbutrin, so I rarly have it now. However I often dream of having a bad panic attack in my dream I fall down and my whole body starts shaking and I can't talk! I have had this kind of dream happen a few times, when I wake up I am shaking of fear and wonder if I really did have a seizure? I have never had one that I know of, but it scares me that I might be having them while i'm asleep, I have also had what they call sleep paralysis, when you awake and suddenly realize you cant move, scream for help and your head feels all tingly, scared the c**p outa me and I also heard a voice scream at me "GOD WANTS YOU TO KNOW!" then I was suddenly able to get up. freaky right!

I, too, have bipolar disorder, ADHD and OCD and am wondering whether or not I'm having seizures in my sleep.

Lately, I've been getting very little sleep and I've been under a lot of stress. When I do sleep, I don't feel as if I've gotten any rest, I have a very hard time waking up, my ears ring and, more often than not, I have a very bad headache.

In this last week, things have gotten a bit worse: Now I'm barely able to move with how much every muscle in my body hurts. My mother tried to wake me up today and I was, supposedly, unresponsive, moaning in my sleep and very very tense. By the time I woke up or came to, I'd nearly bitten through the inside of my cheek and was bleeding.

Dear Stopchasingme--

Oh my gosh...you are not crazy! This is completely normal. I am learning this and it is so scary, but you're ok. I started having something similar when I was probably about 17 and I'm 34 now...and I still have it. I thought I was crazy and going nuts. I thought people would think I was nuts so I never told anyone. I held it in. Because describing what was happening I was afraid would scare my friends and family. Finally it happened one night and it was the worst. It felt evil almost. I was so scared I finally told my husband about a year ago. I don't think he really unders tands what I'm trying to describe, because it's hard to describe and I think you have to have it happen to know what one is talking about. But, it did feel good to finally tell someone. After that I decided to get to the bottom of it. It used to happen once every few months. It did stop for a few years or so but now it's back. But, I started getting horrible anxiety over it and basically became afraid to sleep. I mean...seriously afraid to sleep. But, I'm coping now. I thought I was going nuts...sometimes I felt so scared...because I felt like I was awake but I couldn't wake up, and I felt like I was being held down. Just know that you're ok. When you wake up, try and calm down and maybe watch tv until you feel calmer. If you feel comfortable going to a doctor I would--but, I would have your physician recommend a doctor for this, because by my research online you need to go to a sleep therapist (I'm using the wrong title I'm sure).  Keep searching online until you find posts from people explaining the same thing your explaining.(I actually googled exactly what I was feeling. I put "I feel like I'm shaking while I'm asleep." And, I found all kinds of postings online from people with similar experiences. From what I was reading, I was finding out there are different sleep disorders with the same systems. Some sites were actually calling them sleep terrors. Which makes sense--because it was only happening when I was sleeping, and when I woke up I was scared but I was ok, I was healthy. From what I can find out so far, as long as you wake up and you're ok, you're not at harm. I thought it maybe was some kind of seizure also, but since it only happens when I'm sleeping and not during the day or anyting I ruled that out. But, I did go to the doctor to get a physical and have blood taken to make sure I was healthy. Because your health comes first. Just know that you're ok. It's probably a type of sleep disorder. I'm not saying I'm not still scared, I am. But, I let it take over my life and created all kinds of anxiety over it and it's not worth it. Definitely talk to a doctor if you can't stop worrying about it, that will help. Or share it with a close friend or a parent.Also, I was reading that this usually occurs when people sleep on their back. (although, it has happned to me when I was on my side as well, but probably 75% of the time I was on my back.) The info I was finding on this--was it's something about your brain being awake but it hasn't signalled to rest of your body yet, so the shaking and hallucination type stuff can happen. I'm still trying to figure it all out too. And, reading and talking to others online will help to. All my best. And, you're not crazy! 

For the longest time i thought i was being possesed by evil spirts

The shaking in your sleep are called night terrors.....night terrors are nightmares that you don't remember....if you remember the dream then it is a nightmare...

The EXACT same thing happens to me. I've only been experiencing it for about 6 months now, but there is ONE thing that helps me every single time....I listen to those "soothing sounds"...ie...ocean waves, flowing creek, light rains...things like that. I have NEVER had it happen again in the same night after playing that. If you have a smartphone, there are apps that you can download and that's what I use to listen to and go back to sleep after I force myself to snap out of it. Also, it only seems to happen when I'm extremely exhausted or have something on my mind. Try getting more sleep and not worrying as much- easier said than done, I know.

Idk if any of you will see my reply... But, I am almost positive ALL OF YOU are ASTRAL PROJECTING-- In other words, out of body exp!!! (OBE)

BE HONORED!!! THIS IS A TRUE GIFT! IF IT SCARES YOU, JUST PRAY BEFORE YOU SLEEP FOR GODS GUIDENCE AND PROTECTION...

Hey Everyone,

The same thing has been happening to me, but my situation is alittle scary Because i am a Firefighter. Therefore im scared that one night this will happen when im on duty at the station, and if i get a call i wont be able to get up. This is not normal to me, i really want to get down to the bottom of it . I Honestly feel like its a seizure but it only happens when i sleep. Im just afraid to scare my Family or friends or even get canned from the fire Dept for Medically Unfit :(

I usually never write on topics like these that i google but I felt the need that I had to. I am 24 year old Male, and this same thing has been happening to me for about a year and a half. I literally just had one and so I had to find out more about it. I think I have an episode every month where I become frozen and begin to shake and feel like I'm being held down. It ONLY happens while I sleep and some occurrences are more intense than others. I feel that I am conscious during it but I can't control what's happening (but I feel that when I try to fight it, it becomes more intense). What's crazy is that when I wake up from it I feel completely fine. I still have chills over my body but I am 100% awake and feeling bewildered but feeling normal. I now think I should find out more about it, I hope it isn't serious.