I'm not sure exactly how long I've been having diarrhea for. When it began, I imagined it would pass within a few days hence why I failed to keep track of how long I've had it. When it began, the stools weren't majorly liquidized, but were evidently symptoms of diarrhea. As of recently, I've been experiencing large symptoms of dehydration and episodes of dizziness and weakness. Is this something that is likely to pass without the need to see a medical professional, or should I visit my doctors?

Hi:
I don't believe this is likely to pass on its own after so much time. The dehydration is a very, very, serious concern. You really shouldn't let severe diarrhea go on for more that a day or so without seeing a medical professional. Dehydration can lead to life-threatening problems. You can also become anemic. Over long periods of time, many situations can result in permanent damage. You should get to a doctor right away. Questions to consider would be....Do you have an already diagnosed disease, etc.? What did you eat before this problem began? Were you on vacation, or in a foreign city, etc., just before this problem began. Has anyone else in your household had this problem. The cause of your diarrhea will be an important question here. You may be exposing yourself to something that is causing the diarrhea to continue. A final question would be...Do you have an eating disorder. If you are not eating, you may be causing this yourself. Either way, you should get to a doctor immediately.

I don't have any problems with my body, I'm only 17 years of age and still very healthy. I don't have any alergies or eating disorders etc. I visited Thailand for 2 weeks in February and contracted a flu when I returned home. I was tested for malaria but luckily the results were negative.

It could be a large number of issues. Your losing weight possibly dehydrated and need to see a doctor right away. It may be serious but get it cleared up right away. god bless and best of luck.

How are you doing now? Did you follow the advice of all of the posters? if you did, what was the diagnosis? I hope that you are feeling a lot better and I hope that you have some answers. I can't imagine that you are still suffering with your symptoms. Was your illness a result of your visit to Thailand. We'd sure like to know. Please get back to us. We can learn a lot from your experience. We look forward to hearing from you soon.