Hello everyone. My ex roommate called me today, and she was so hysterical. She was screaming, telling me that I need to help her with her dog. First, it was really weird, because I don’t know that much about dogs, and second, I don’t remember that she was calling me after we had a huge fight on the college. Well, it doesn’t matter. She lives in the village, and she told me that vet is 12 miles far away from her. She told me that her dog, he is 5 years old, is acting very strange. He is jumping without control, he doesn’t want to sleep. Some of her friends told her that her dog has parvo. I don’t know what to tell her, because I don’t know what are signs and symptoms of parvovirus in dogs? Can you tell me?

Tnx! 

Is it nice to say that you hate someone who calls you just when he or she needs you? :/ Ugh, I know that feeling. And, if I can say, I am totally against her words – the vet is far away? So what? If you want to have a pet, you should find the way to visit the vet, no matter what. About your question my darling, this is highly contagious viral disease. It can produce life – threatening illness. This virus attack very rapidly dividing cells in dog’s body. Parvo also can attack white blood cells, but big danger is when dog is young and infected. This virus can damage the heart muscles. Main symptoms are vomiting, appetite loss, smelling diarrhea, dehydration. 

Hey. I also don’t support this theory – vet is far away, there is no need to visit him. That is insane! I don’t know what to tell you about this, but I will inform you, because you might wanna know – just in case. Symptoms are :

• Vomiting,
  • Abdominal pain – you can see when your dog is in pain,
  • Offensive stool with blood,
  • Diarrhea,
  • Tacky gums,
  • Skin tenting,
  • Your dog is losing his weight,
  • Sunken eyes,
  • Weakness,
  • Intestinal bleeding.

Those are the main symptoms. If you don’t notice them on time, this could lead to the worst thing – the death! 

Hi. You said the dog started bouncing? That’s strange.

I know this girl whose dog had parvovirus. He was very weak. I remember when I saw him, I was convinced he’s not going to make it. He was very young and his immune system was still weak from the previous cold when this virus caught him. He was vomiting, he had diarrhea, he lost a lot of weight…

And this guy who lives in my building – his dog (according to him )  also had this virus. He says  that  he barely had any symptoms. I guess it all depends on the kind of virus.

Parvo is really dangerous disease because it can be manifested without showing any symptoms, or barely you can see them. Your dog can be acting totally OK, but he might have some problems as well. You have to pay attention on his stool. First time when you see some changes, you have to be very careful. Also, you need to pay attention, when you are cuddling with your dog, is he showing any signs of pain in his stomach, etc. If your dog is throwing up, this is alarming as well. So, when you see that something is going on with your dog, if you see some changes, you need to react. Parvo is not something that you should play with. 

My dog had parvovirus two years ago. At first there were no signs except for the fact that he was less energetic than usual. But I didn’t pay much attention to it.
Then he started loosing weight. He refused to eat. I noticed something was seriously wrong with him but I hoped it will pass. I waited a day or two and then I took him to the vet. He told me that I had to come way earlier. He said that my dog had caught some type of parvovirus. His immune system was great so he got out of it relatively easily.

Hello everybody,

I heard about parvovirus before, this disease is scary and dangerous, The good news is there's a vaccine that can decrease the risk of catching it. 

My cousin had a dog, he died when he was five because of this virus. He had all of those symptoms you already mentioned. He had a weak appetite, he started to lose weight and vomited a lot. He also had a bloody stool. 

We didn’t know at first that it was parvovirus. Then we took him to the vet he explained it to us and told us that there were small chances for him to survive.

Well, one thing is definitely true – you should not avoid to visit your vet, because it can be dangerous as well.

I remember, when I was a girl at the college, my neighbor had this lovely Dalmatian dog, and he died, because my neighbor didn’t saw any symptoms. She was thinking that her dog was perfectly healthy.

After he died, she told me that he had sensitive stomach, but she didn’t believe that this could be that serious.

So, when you see any kind of change, inform your vet.

Maybe it is not alarming, but as you can see, you can never tell.