I am a 22 year old Female experiencing intense abdominal/stomach pain since early July 2009. I am on Synthroid (for my Thyroid) and dexamethasone (to control elevated testosterone levels). I've always experienced heartburn, but if I was careful with my diet and did not eat too late at night, the heartburn was not a major problem.

In July my major symptoms started. One evening I began to feel an intense amount of nausea, as if I were about to vomit but could not. This lasted for a few days. The following day I could not eat or drink and was prescribed Compazine for the nausea. Two days later I was in the ER for dehydration and slowly began eating and drinking, still feeling the nausea. I began taking Oemprazole as well for intense GERD pains that radiated throughout my entire digestive track. The morning after I started experiencing severe bouts of diarrhea. The diarrhea was worst in the morning, and I would keep moving my bowels until there was a clear liquid. After several visits to my doctor, I was prescribed Nexium 2x daily.

I was sent in for an ultrasound of my gallbladder, but the results were normal.

I took the Nexium religiously and right when I began to feel better (exactly a week after the symptoms first began), it was as if the process began itself all over again. It was at this time I saw a GI doctor who sent me in for an endoscopy. The upper endo found a hiatial hernia as well as gastritis in my stomach. I tested negative for H. Pylori and Celiac Disease.

From this point on I restricted my diet to extremely bland foods incorporating plain chicken and extremely lean chopped meat. I cheated two times before the next attack (a chicken/cheese sandwich and nachos when I was feeling a little better).

For a week I was fine, and then once again the symptoms returned. During the second attack the mornings were the worst. I would wake up feeling extremely nauseous, experience intense stomach pains followed by severe diarrhea lasting until the afternoon. I was unable to eat until the evenings where for a breif time I felt fine, and then the stomach pains usually returned shortly before bed.

After this attack again, I was fine for a week, and now I am experiencing my third attack this summer. This time I followed by restricted diet TO A T. No cheating whatsoever. During this attack I switched from the Nexium to Prontonix, and by Monday I was instructed by my GI to stop the Prontonix and switch to Zantac (the GI thought the PPI's were causing the diarrhea in the morning.) I've been on the Zantac for 5 days now, and my morning diarrhea is just as awful. I am still experiencing severe stomach pain (it feels like someone is kicking me in the stomach; the abdominal area is VERY sore), nausea, and a burning, gnawing feeling that is always present in my abdominal area. I've noticed with this attack, my GERD symptoms are not as severe as the first two attacks. Even though my stomach still feels sore, the pain feels as if it is more intense this time lower (around the intestinal area).

I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in a few days. The GI believes it might possibly be either bacterial, or Chron's. Is it possible this might be a parasite? Should I have further tests done on my gallbladder?

I NEVER feel fine. I always feel sick to my stomach and incredibly uncomfortable. I've had to start short-term disability in order not to lose my part-time job. I am also starting graduate school in two days, and I CAN NOT afford to be sick! I think stress plays an important role in these attacks, and I try to keep myself calm. However, it is difficult to keep calm during an attack knowing I have to go on with my normal daily activities.

Two weeks prior to the initial onset of my symptoms I was treated for what appeared to be a possible Kidney infection. There was blood in my urine and I was sent in for an ultrasound of my Kidney's, but the ultrasound came back normal. The doctor was sure it was not a bladder infection. Can this be any way related?

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!

It sounds like the GI doc is really trying to find out what wrong. Besides a possible bacterial infection, have you eaten sushi or ahi tuna or anything undercooked like that?? Some people who get intestinal parasites from undercooked food or raw food can have similar symptoms. I hope you feel better soon.

The last meal I had before all of this started was a pulled pork sandwich at a Mets game. My father had the same kind of sandwich and was perfectly fine. I was feeling lethargic the day before the symptoms started, so I can't really attribute the illness to anything I had eaten prior to the onset of symptoms. I don't eat fish, and when I eat meat I always make sure it's medium to medium-well (no pink!)

If I wasn't pushing my GI to further investigate these bizarre symptoms he probably wouldn't be running further tests. Usually I'll go into his office during an attack, he'll listen to my belly, and then he'll tell me to take it easy. But it seems the last visit earlier this week prompted further tests.

Thanks for your response to my post.

Maybe this is off the wall, but the first thing I thought when you said pulled pork sandwich was tapeworm parasite. The pork should have been cooked well, you would think. But you never know. Some people can live with tapeworms for years and have no symptoms, but others have intestinal issues. I don't know if there is a test for tapeworm or if the doc would consider the possibility or if he's already ruled it out. Let us know what happens with your test, please. It would probably benefit someone in the forum.

My only objection to this idea is the fact that I was feeling lethargic a day prior to the onset of my major symptoms. Also, would a a tapeworm react that quickly in my system? I started feeling my first round of nausea only a couple of hours after my meal. Furthermore, my father also had the same kind of sandwich prepared, but suffered no like symptoms. Food poising was immediately ruled out because of the length of this illness. I'm nearing two months with the same persistent symptoms.

Crohn's is diagnosed in people in their 20's, but hopefully when you get the colonoscopy it isn't crohn's disease. Hopefully you'll get your answers soon!

I had the same thing happen to me what your describing it extremely similar to what happened to me i did so many tests and they all came back negative i was sick for 7 months straight and the doctors could not find an answer. the only thing they came up with is that it might be anxisty formed into physical symptoms or it was all in my head. slowly very slowly i started to get better but even now once a month for a whole day i wake up with the same symptoms i really don't no what to tell you but if you come up with any answers please let me know because maybe it would help me find a cure for mine.
good luck i know how hard it can be to be sick every day with no answers.

This all sounds pretty familiar. I had something like this when I was 9 years old (25 now). I will always remember it. I was sick for 3 months over the summer of 1993. I ate an Arby's sandwich and then got really nauseated shortly afterwords but couldn't throw up. It lasted about an hour or so. But then it came back like 4 days later with nausea, diarrhea, bloating. I couldn't eat or eat very little. It would go on for like 4 days then stop for like 4 days and then repeat. I kept thinking I was getting well but then it just came back again. I lost a lot of weight and thought I was dying. The doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. My dad one day realized I must have an infection in my GI. We went to the MD, told him my dad's theory and the doctor agreed and put me on Amoxicillin. Ban, I was all well in one week after three months of suffering. For some reason doctors get confused about this recycling of symptoms on and on. My wife is having something similar to this which has been going on for about 3 weeks now. Sounds like an infection, hopefully.

When I first read that you had abdominal pain and a thyroid problem I thought of Celiac Disease. I am currently undergoing the process of trying a gluten-free diet. My younger sister was diagnosed with Celiac disease a few years ago and about 8 months ago I began developing symptoms. It's really hard having intestinal problems, I hope you find out what is wrong soon!

Well, the thing that pork is notorious for is trichinosis. There's know way of knowing that you and your father got the same cut of meat! But i think a blood test should show if its a parasite- mention it to your doctor.
I have thyroid problems, too; I go back and forth between Grave's and Hashimoto's diseases. Anyway, as long as I have had thyroid trouble, I have been extremely sensitive to medications, especially antibiotics. I had an infection near my tooth and had to take some antibiotics. The antibiotics gave me terrible stomache and abdominal pains, nausea, diarrhea, and this strange gag-relfex feeling. It continued on after I finished the pills. So I went to my natural health doctor, who told me that I just need good bacteria iin my system, and gave me some probiotics. All better!
Also, you might consider a detox program or elimination diet at your local natural health clinic! They are great with digestive issues, and can identify any problem foods in your diet. I know for many people, it's artificial sweeteners- even in things you don't think of like soda and chewing gum! Look into it!

I'm curious to know how you're doing now. I see this was back in August. I'll tell you why I'm interested...

I am also a 22-year-old female and I take synthroid for my hyperthyroidism. I've been having a lot of the same symptoms as you, the nausea and diarrhea, but also constipation at the same time...painful. My doctor sent me for an ultrasound on my gallbladder and after it came back normal, he sent me in for a HIDA-scan which checks the functionality of the gallbladder and liver. That also came back normal. He suggested that it may be stress-related and he put me on some anti-depressants which I stopped taking because they weren't helping, but he's also scheduled me an appointment with a GI specialist which I'll be going to on the 23rd of this month. He also mentioned IBS, which is really untreatable from what I understand. This past week has been the worst for me and I'm really hoping for some answers soon. I completely understand what you were going through; I'm constantly calling in sick or having to leave work because of it. I am always feeling sick to my stomach and extremely uncomfortable as well. I hope you have found some answers...and if you have, I hope to hear from you. Maybe it will help me find my answers.

I have been having a similar issue i have been to a gi dr and seeing him for several weeks he did a colonoscopy and couldn't find anything wrong. I ended up in the er last night because of severe pain in my stomach, chest, and back. They did an ultrasound on my liver, kidneys, pancreas, gallbladder. All my labs came back normal, they couldn't find anything. This has been going on for over a month. I experience nausea, diarrhea, vomiting all the time. I have been in and out of work and on disability because of this. I am so sick of being sick and I just want to be normal again. If they find out what is wrong with you let me know it may help me because our symptoms are just so darn similar.

Are you having POS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) by any chance due to the high levels of testosterone? 

Hello I am a 40 year old female that's  having every symptom that your having and mines have been going on for 3 months so far after eating some carryout I have been admitted at the hospital for the whole month of July 2012 and have had so many test its to many to mention but I did have the same test that you have had and everything is coming back negative to make a long story short I would like to know if a diagnosis was ever found for you because I can't even make it  in my day to day life because I am always in pain I can't hold any solid food down it has to be bland liquid . Every morning I wake up nausea cramping and I have the runs so  much that its completely clear my GI doctor and all of the other specialist that I have been to see is stomped but its so bad on my end that I had to take a leave of absences from work and I need some to be home with me to help with my 3 year old son. It hurts so much and my episodes are exactly like yours once I think I am over it and I can get up move around and start doing things not even a day or 2 and there it goes again.t one point I started to think it was all in my head myself. My kidneys colony and all of my other organs I was told were fine but they did find a hernia that didn't appear until the problem first started to happen and that's really tender touch. I am now going to take another test to once again rule out Intestinal Obstruction and Intestinal Lleus which I already have had done before.I am staring to feel like the Dr.are staring to just draw straws because they can't figure this out I don't have thyroid problems but I do have fibroid issues which I am in the process of getting taken care of,but I would like to know if you can send me a response to let me know if your problem was ever solved. I am so desperate right now because this pain is unbearable. Thanks to anyone who can give any positive helpful  information

Sincerely ,
                                                                                                                           Women who wants her life back 

Are you stressed all the time?

Sounds like you need an MRI scan to look at your abdomen area. I have similar symptoms to you but comes from stress mostly. My GP is sending me to see a psycotherapist (can't spell) to help me with the symptoms or the cause of them. You must push for this so that it puts your mind at rest and try and relax as much as you can. Not easy when you feel like hell and are scared. You must do this NOW as your too young to go through this, nip it in the bud before it takes control of you, you can do this trust me....