my husband has quit smoking a couple of times over the last few years and started back after several months of terrible diarrhea. We have talked to other "quitters" including his mother who also suffered from this problem. Please help.

I had the same diarrhea problem after quit smoking. I had some bouts of diarrhea back in May, probably one and half months after I quit smoking in April. It might result from the nicotine withdrawal! And it was serious for many days for that symptom, I decided to take some Imodium (OTC medication). The Imodium did well and my diarrhea problems were removed in couple of days. Hope this help.

Wish your hubby the best!

TA

I quit smoking 10 days ago. The first few days I had really bad sulfur burps and farts, then it turned into terrible diarrhea and constant gas and bloating and hasn't stopped since! I have taken Immodium on 2 occasions and that seemed to help for about 6-8 hours, but then right back at it! I also have taken Gas-X for the bloating and constant farting (sorry!), which also helped for about the same as the Immodium did, then it just starts right back up again! ~ Can someone please tell me if this is normal or common after quitting? I am seriously becoming concerned and would probably worry less if I knew others have gone through the same thing...

When I looked this up while I was quitting smoking, I could find no scientific evidence that quitting nicotine smoking causes diarrhea, but PLENTY of stories from other quitters who experienced the same thing. That's good enough for me — quitting smoking is related to diarrhea. 

It wore off after a few weeks for me, if I recall correctly, along with most of the other symptoms of nicotine withdrawal, such as feeling aggressive, terrible tingling in my hands and feet, insomnia, headaches like I had a hangover from hell, and constant coughing that I didn't have when I was actually smoking. 

same issues here just started the imodium but the doctor warned me that I would be detoxing and said for sure that was the cause of the gas I cant imagine going through this for long tho we'll see how it goes.

hang in there m8 exactly the same for me - its all worth it in the end !!

My boyfriend just quit smoking. Today is day 4. He has terrible gas & diahrrea and is just miserable overall. Hang in there, quitters!!! It will be worth it in the end!

i saw your question i quit smoking about ten years ago kept diarrhea develeped something called lymphocytric colitis some people have uc colitis something about the nicotine calms it till you quit my advice is to see a dr or gastrooligest if nothing  else works use gum or the patch remember nicotine wont harm you supposebly just the smoke good luck to you all

I'm not a doctor but what I believe is happening is that your lungs are expelling all the tar and resin that's been accumulating for years... you notice that when you quit smoking you start to hack up all sorts of madness for weeks on end? Well, what happens when you aren't somewhere that you can spit it out conveniently? Tada... diarrhea. Going through the same thing right now: Drink milk, drink tea, avoid alcohol, avoid smoking (ha), basically keep your stomach well stocked for all that junk you're putting into it, nothing acidic. Eat lots of tums.

drink a lot of water. i quit smoking 6 month ago and began training for parkour. That right parkour, google it. The combination of excercise and lots of water help me to get away from the need for a cigarrete. but yes for the first two weeks i was gassy, really bad. but if you eat healthy and stay away from alcohol then it goes away fairly easy.

I also had my doctor give my an xray of my lungs every month, ( he made an excuse so i wouldn't pay a dime) and its amazing to see your lungs naturally expell toxing out. Henze that is why H2O is essential quen quitting to the fact that your not stuffing your self with calories.

yep, happens alot i hear

This is an interesting topic. I have been suffering terrible with diarrhea, bloating and gas. The only difference is I switched from smoking cigarettes to vaping low amounts of nicotine via electronic cigarettes. Given all these scenarios I would guess it's the carcinogens in cigarettes that are being detoxed and causing it. I am one month clean from the carcinogens and am very happy with my choice, even with the inconvenience of running to the bathroom quite often.

Same thing... quit eleven days ago today and on the 8th day very sudden onset of a very unhappy stomach, growling gurgling followed by terrible watery diarrhea. This continues and today will be the fourth day.  I am sooo not happy about it lol.  Also breaking out with pimples which is relevant to a whole other forum, but also this one.  I have just read that caffeine aggravates diarrhea and I wish i had read that 3 days ago but anyway, be aware of that.  Anyway I am grateful to hear that this is happening to others and that it is a likely side effect of the detoxing of carcinogens from our system.  I am also using a nicorette inhaler so it is seemingly more likely a result of the carcinogens expelling from the body rather than the nicotine.   As i can not afford to be off work indefinitely while my body sorts it self out, today I have begun taking tablets to stop the diarrhea (which are yet to resolve the problem) however, my fingers and toes are crossed.  It sucks, you hear all about the problems with smoking but go into quitting with no idea of the side effects that may occur in respect to that.  Anyway other than severe watery diarrhea (up to every hour)  I feel fantastic, no pain, vomiting, nausea, just extremely manic and hyperactive, bored, my mind is clear, i am exercising I just hope this problem subsides shortly.  Thanks for your discussions and I hope this helps ease another quit smokers worry.  

My closest friend has been having diarrhea for 3 weeks.  She went to the dr. and had a test which indicated no parasites or infection.  She had had a routine colonoscopy and everything was fine.  but, the diarrhea continues.  I suggested maybe it was the quitting smoking.  She has been a smoker all her life and is now 70.  She quit in January and continues to be smoke free but has this problem.  I would think that if it was smoke related it would have happened when she first quit.  But...thanks for the input.  I have contacted her and suggested she check out this website. 

I'm on Day 3 and I'm having the same problem. Ugh it's painful but I'm not giving in...