Hi! I have liver cirrhosis. I heard that diet is very important for this disease. Can you tell me something about that? Thank you!

Hi! Because cirrhosis can cause a number of nutritional deficiencies along with weight loss, it's especially important to eat a diet high in calories and nutrients. Emphasize fresh fruits, vegetables. These foods are high in nutrients, including vitamins A, C and E, which tend to be depleted in people with cirrhosis. Your doctor may also prescribe vitamin supplements. Good nutrition is essential. Be sure to avoid supplements that contain iron in iron-excess forms of cirrhosis. Because the sodium in salt causes your body to retain water, it can contribute to or increase fluid buildup in your legs and abdomen. Omega-3 fatty acids, found primarily in fish such as salmon, in fish oils, flax and flaxseed oils, and in walnuts, omega-3 fatty acids may help protect the liver. Find some good dietitian to help you.