Hi, I am 34 years old male, non-smoker and non-drinker. I have some problems related to breathing, and I don’t know what is causing them. It seams like a nerve pain, but I’m not sure. Did it happen to anyone else?

Hi, I was very surprised when I saw your post, because I have the same symptoms and I never heard that anyone else experienced the same thing. When I tell people that I have a sharp pain when I’m trying to breathe deeply, they look me with no comment. No one knows what is wrong with me. I guess that it is a nerve pain, but I am not sure. It’s not happening all the time, but maybe once a week. Every time when it happens, I freak out, because I can’t move until it goes away. I wish I could make it stop, because it really bothers me. That pain that follows the breathing appears in chest area, around the hearth. It feels like I’ve been stabbed in chest, and it’s very unpleasant.

could possibly be a side effect of acid reflux

Hi there,

I am 30 years old (female) and have had the porblem for 6 years. I was referred to a cardiologist, who did all the necessary tests, but nothing was found with my heart. The cause is still unknown - and I do still get it. The pain is awlays in my right chest (sometimes high up, sometimes below my rib cage). The stabbing pain is so intense, I go dizzy and need to breathe slowly and shallowly to deal with the pain, increasing my breathe intake very slowly back to normal. The attacks last about 5-10 minutes. Upper body movement sometimes brings it on, sometime though I can be perfectly still and it starts. I also fuond some interesting notes on this site - worth taking a look at what other people say http://www.thedoctorslounge.net/chest/forums/backup/topic-816.html

Let me know if you find out what it is.

Hi, Im 22 and I also feel the same pain. It started in the summer of 2006, and had only happend that one time, but now it started up two days ago (3/4/07) and seems to be worse than the first time. Its hard to take a deep breath and turn my neck around to much. It feels like my nervous system but it is only on the right side of my body, I can pinpoint the pain under my ribs, shoulder, neck and the back of my head. I thought it was because i go up in down in weight so much. The doctor said it could be gal stones but didnt seem very sure of what it could be. I highly doubt thats what it is and am thinking of getting an MRI or cat scan, as of right now i dont know what the problem could be.

i too have this-i've had it since i was a teenager. I suffer from asthma and always wondered if they were connected ie a pulled muscle. However i dont think it is this and the doctor thought it was gall stones-but wasn't. it is a severe and very sharp pain in right side of chest that stops you breathing in too deeply and can last for up to 15mins. I have to take shallow breaths until it subsides as it is unbelievably painful-the more you breath in the sorer it gets! i wonder now if it is a nerve thing and i'm positive it is nothing to do with acid reflux. it occurs just above where the ribs start and seems to spread into the centre of the right lung. Painful and mysterious.

Wow, I've had very similar symptoms for over 10 years now. When mine first started I was away at college. All of a sudden I felt pain in left arm, shoulder, and the upper-left ide of my body (chest and back). I waited a day but the pain would come and go. Sometimes if I dind't take any deep breath for a while it would subside quicker, but not always. Finally, I thought that it may be a heart attack, so I had a friend bring to an emergency room back home. After hours of prodding they said it had nothing to do with the heart and gave me some serious muscle relaxers. You know what, they really helped. I've been going through a family crisis this week and the thing happened again, and pretty bad. So I think it may be linked to stress. So, this could either be nerve pain or a panic attack. Either way, it's painful and a little scary.

I m an 18 year old male. I have a very sharp stabbing pain in my left chest and have done for as long as i can remeber, from what i can tell it only comes on when i work out or use my upper body frequently. I find taking a rest and not working out so hard helps get rid of it.

I had this same pain everyone here is talking about- the first time I can remember feeling it is when I was 8 years old. During high school and college it came much more often- sometimes 3 times a day... i'm 24 now and it only comes once every few months but i still hate. It's a sharp pain that hits me when I breathe in and then I have bite my teeth down and hold my breathe and try to take shallow breathes that I take in a little deeper each time until I can inhale deeply and feel no more pain. The longest one I ever had was 45 minutes- where I had to breathe really shallow the whole time by myself- it was scary cause you can't scream when it comes. I got my heart checked out by a doctor- he said everything is fine- my heart beat is normal and looks good. I wish there was doctor around right when I was getting the pain to check in on it. It comes out of the blue- not necessarily when I've worked out or particularly when I thinkn I'm in stress- it just comes and goes. The worst is when I'm getting up from bed in the morning and it catches me at the halfway point of bed and you have to hold it there in an awkard position until it passes. My husband tells me to try and breathe in really really deep when the pass comes so I can force my lungs to expand pass the pain- but yeah right, I don't think he knows what pain I'm talking about. I just know I will pass out doing that at the very least. What the heck is it? I'm going to get another check-up at the doctor's office.

I am having the same problems.

When I breathe it's a VERY sharp pain.

And it's a sharp pain under my left ribcage and then it goes up my right arm.

So I have no idea what's going on with my breathing.

I can only lay on one side and it's a very, very harmful thing to be going through.

And I am only 15 years old and I'm getting all this pain :(!!!

IM 13 AND IVE HAD IT SINCE I GOT NEMONIA I NOE ITS SPELT WRONG IVE HAD CATSCANS ULTRASOUND AND THE DOCTOR SAYITS MY MUSCLES LIKE I PULLED ONE AND SAYS 2 DO YOGA IT HELPS BUT 2 DAY IVE HAD A CHEST PAIN FOR BOUT 3HRS AND I CANT BREATHE PROPLEY AND ITS NOT GONE YET . THE COLD BRINGS IT ON THO %-)

I have had this for a while now however I have not seen a doctor about it yet, although I am considering seeing my GP because of it.

It happens every now on then however i have had the more prominent the last few months. I get a sharp pain in upper left chest while breathing in although it is very painful I just bite the bullet and take a very deep breath which after a moment of excruciating pain o.O stops the sharp pains.

I was joking around with my wife last night saying that I think I'm having a heart attack and now she is making me go to the GP 8-| my own fault really... additional to the symptoms above i have recently started to get hear burn quite often....out of curiosity does anyone here drink redbull on a regular basis as i have seemed to started these pains again since i went back to drinking redbull?

I have sharp pain in my chest. I can't take a deep breath or laugh without feeling like my ribs are closing in. I have pain in my rib cage feel like slight period cramps until the sharp pain hits my chest.

I'm 30 now and I've had these same pains since I was probably 10. I talked to my dad today and he said he had them all throughout college but they disappeared later in life. For both of us, it's a sharp, stabbing pain that hits right below the heart (left side). It feels like a cramp of sorts because something feels like it's moving or constricting.

Shallow breaths keep it from getting too bad and sometimes it will just go away but a surefire method is to take a quick, deep breath and that ends the pain altogether (although it can be extremely painful to take that one breath).

It hadn't happened to me though in a while and just recently I started running again and now whatever it is that causes the pain feels "sore" like a pulling a muscle. I'd say it was my heart but I don't think you can have a sore heart. As common as this sounds, I can't believe one of us haven't found some sort of diagnosis yet?

a very simple explaination is, if you imagine your diaphram as a plastic bag with a hole in that your food pipe passes through, sometimes your stomach passes back up through (hiatus hernia). relaxing and slow breathing helps your internal organs return to where they should be, but heavy breathing will force back painfully( the heavier the breath, the more it hurts). very common and not usually a problem but can be ongoing with no symptoms before it starts.

the be all and end all if this is the case for you is relax, breathe slow and it passes.

sometimes the muscles of the diaphram can be pulled (sewn) tighter around the food pipe to stop this happening, but i am 27 and a sufferer for as long as i remember, and im in no rush for an op because its not life threateneing to me :-)

hope this post helps some