I have an distended stomache. I look 9 months pregnant. i am also 64 years old so needless to say congratulations from my friends are not in order. No nausea, no pain, just this huge rather hard belly. Help, does anyone have this also. :-( Jeanie

It is very hard to tell what is causing your stomach to swell up, I think you should make notes for some time and eventually make the appointement with your doctor with everything written down on the paper. Maybe you could feel your stomach is harder after eating some food or drinking some beverages which could cause bloating. Another thing that could make your stomach hard and bloated is constipation. Do you have regular bowel movements? If not, by each day that passes, your stomach could get bigger and bigger.
Sometimes people have the intestinal obstruction which causes gases and collecting fluid Well, I doubt this could be the answer in your case as this condition is accompanied with vomiting, constipation, abdominal cramps etc. As you said there are no symptoms except for distention, you could exclude this one from the list of possible causes, but keep it in mind as symptoms might occur later.
You just carefully follow the symptoms and eventually you will find out the underlying cause.

Dear Jeanie (and anyone else out there),
I too have a distended stomach - it has been getting worse in the last half year or so. I look about six or seven months pregnant. I am 52 years old, so needless to say it is an embarassment for me as well. I too have no pain, no nausea and I do have regular bowel movements. It is not related to my uterus - my gynocologist gave me a clean bill of health there. I did find out from him that my thyroid level is high - which means that my thyroid is not producing enough. I went to a endocrinologist and am now on Synthroid. But I do not have an overall weight gain, just in my stomach. I fear that there is still something that we are overlooking, but what I don't know. I have been walking, and am trying to do more excercises. :'(
If anyone can offer a course of action or explanation, I would be very grateful.
Karen

i am 24 and i have recently been having a distended tummy, i am not pregnant and have pain but not unbearable by bowels are normal as well sometimes more then enough. I did go to the ER and found out i have many gallstones and need my gallbladder removed immediately. The extension gets worse after eating as well i hope this gives you an idea of what to have checked out.
APRIL

You should consult with your doctor for a full medical evaluation.