I have sudden weight gain (18lbs) in two weeks, distended stomach, tired all the time

do you think that you could be pregnant?
or are you on any new meds?

me too let me know what you find out!!! same symptoms i am 36. maybe we are both pregnant. i took a test and it came back negative. i also am having blueish lines on breast... hmmmm! :D

Hey Cameron, I'm Dianne. I don't think it's pregnancy because it should take a while before you start noticing weight gain. You are advised to see a doctor as quickly as you can. What are your diet habits? Do you drink often? Those questions are important for your distended stomach. If the doctor isn't sure what's wrong with you, I suggest you see a specialist and run all tests, from blood and stool samples to endoscopy because it may be harmless but just in case you should check it all up. Also, do you exercise, because suddenly stopping exercise can lead to gaining mass? Good luck. 

Hey Cameron, I'm Dianne. I don't think it's pregnancy because it should take a while before you start noticing weight gain. You are advised to see a doctor as quickly as you can. What are your diet habits? Do you drink often? Those questions are important. If the doctor isn't sure what's wrong with you, I suggest you see a specialist and run all tests, from blood and stool samples to endoscopy because it may be harmless but just in case you should check it all up. Also, do you exercise, because suddenly stopping exercise can lead to gaining mass? Good luck. 

can someone please tell me i had a hysterectomy years ago so NOT preagnant and i am barely eating to try to lose weight yet keep gaining and only in the stomach. no pain really just sore back from carrying all this extra weight up front! very lethargic,weak and tired ALL the time but than boom all of a sudden one day i feel great but still fat!!!! than back to feeling just not all here like all systems shut down. no joke this is serious!! not on medications or do street drugs or whatev. i am 47 and have always looked and behaved like i was 30. this has occured in the past three years. meapause already went through and relly didnt deal with all those probs that most women complain about!!

I have similar issues. I was taking weight loss pills (prescribed by my DR) and i was finally losing about 1 lb a week. My period was becoming regular and i was starting to feel better, then one day BAM all medicine stopped working,, my BC pills which regulate my period stopped doing their normal regulation, and i stopped getting my period, and even on weight loss meds i started gaining again, almost 20 lbs in 3 months. I have had every hormone test and blood work , ct scans, you name it they have tested it,, and no one can tell me why I get CONSTANT week long headaches, irregular periods and uncontrollable weight gain. All dr i see tell me to stop eating, however i am at like 1200 cal a day (i currently weight 233) and i am 5'4 it sucks and i dont know where to go from here.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome or PCOS sounds like what you have I was diagnosed years ago I'm 41 I had normal periods for two years then five months ago they stopped i started gaining weight in the upper part of my stomach this time get it checked out

First of all, I know I cannot be pregnant because I have abstained from any sexual activity till I will be married.Sadly, I am now 28 years old.

My issues lie here: In the last six months I have gained over 75lbs and it is mostly in my midsection and thighs. I used to be a size 2 and weight 120lbs and I am now coming close to 200lbs. I am a vegetarian, but still consume chicken. I rarely eat junk food, and I stick to maybe 1 soda a day. I have tried everything, including prescriptions from my docs. My period is also more irregular than it has ever been, getting it every other week. I sleep normal 8 hours but feel tired all the time. I also swim laps every day for an hour each time, and do aerobic excercise in the pool as well.

It has made me quite "depressed" you could say but I will not go on meds because of the weight gain factors they carry.

Anyone got any answers/ideas??

I've gained about 15 pounds n the last two months. I'm 5'1, so talk about butterball! My midsection is huuuge. I look prego for sure, but I took a test and it was negative. I eat healthy foods, I cut down on smoking and drinking, I increased exercise--for Christ's sake I walk/jog at least four times a week now, painful as it is. I'm also tired. I don't know what to do. I eat whole grains, fruits and veggies, chicken and fish only, never add salt to anything, eat flaxseed, and take a goddamn multivitamin. I just turned 31. I don't have any health insurance. HELP! 146 lbs as of this morning!

Author Message
cartem21 Posted: 06/13/08 - 16:55 Post subject: Re: uncontrolled and unknown causes of weight gain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have your thyroid checked. My stomach is still distended though. Still trying to figure it out

i am 30yrs old and have the same symptoms. I have always weighed about 98lbs and wore a size 1 now i am in a size 5. I am always tired, i be having sharp pain in my side from time to time. my stomach look like i'm about 5mos pregnant. I'm not pregnant, my period has been irregular since february 2008. I've been to doctor they just say im full of gas but dont know the cause, i have no insurance so if anyone find out what it is please let me know.

I gained 14lbs in a month and my periods stopped and i had swelling in my ankles then i got lots of other symptoms like hair loss and eye pain etc etc
I now have an appointment with a endocrinologist as they deal with hormones my doctor has refered me as i have symptoms of cushings another cause of sudden weight gain
Try looking at all the little things like your nails and thinning skin etc. Somethings you dont really think about.

I am 24 years old. I have gained about 25 pounds in two to three months. My doc thought it was the bc (Yaz) which I have been on since January, but the weight gain just started in June. I have been eating better, getting regular sleep and I switched birth controls. I have tried not eating I have tried diet pills and nothing works!!! I don't know what to do and I am at the end of my line. My husband (of four months) says I am fat and happy but I have been the same weight for 7 years with no change and wham in two months over twenty pounds?! Please help!