My baby is only 15 months old. He had diarrhea and his stomach looked distended, he vomited occasionally. His physician suspects on pyloric stenosis. He wants to perform ultrasound tomorrow, to be sure. Please tell me if distended stomach in toddlers is a symptom of pyloric stenosis and what treatment can be prescribed for this condition. I am very worried.

Pyloric stenosis is a narrowing of the outlet from the stomach to the small intestine and it occurs more commonly in boys than in girls under six months, rarely in toddlers. It is caused by a thickening of the muscles of the pylorus, which prevents the stomach from emptying into the small intestine. The infant may have a distended abdomen and symptoms like diarrhea, belching, and vomiting, and abdominal pain. Treatment for pyloric stenosis involves surgery to split the overdeveloped muscles of the pylorus and re-hydration with intravenous fluids usually takes place prior to surgery.

I believe a distended stomach is also a symptom of celiac disease and diahrea can be a symptom of gluten intolerance.

I know this post is really old, but my son had pyloric stenosis when he was 2 weeks old. He would eat and eat and eat, and throw it all up at one time. Diahrrea isn't a symptom of pyloric stenosis, but constipation is. My son would have very hard pellet like stool, and only every 4 days or so. It was a nightmare, because the pediatrician had no idea what was going on. He told me that I needed to switch formula, put rice in it, make sure he was burped well. After numerous calls and visits to the DR. and 5 weeks later, my son woke up throwing up blood. I was SO DONE with messing around with the pediatrician I rushed my son to the ER. They took him immediately, and hooked him up to an IV of fluids. The doctors just rushed in the room and were swarming my son. I was freaking out. They told me he had to be rushed to the Children's Hospital 40 minutes away and that he was very close to going in to shock. He was extremely dehydrated. My little guy had surgery the next day to fix the pylorus. It was very very scary but as soon as he had the surgery, he stopped throwing up. He could keep food down and have bowel movements.
Please, any parent who thinks there child might have this, do not wait. Trust your instinct. The pediatrician that "took care" of my son through this is no longer in practice. I had done research on pyloric stenosis when it was all happening, but I was trusting my doctor and thought things would improve. It is very scary! If your child throws up constanly after eating, has had no bowel movements, sunken in eyes and clammy skin, take him/her to the doctor. I hope there are doctors that know the signs of pyloric stenosis immediately, unlike my sons doctor who strung us along for 5 weeks and my son almost dying.
Today my son is a very happy, healthy, hungry 3 year old!!