My friend who works in a factory on meat packaging has developed carpal tunnel syndrome. She used to complain about this tingling in her hands, and burning but she didn’t do anything about it in a long time. Then she suddenly started feeling weakness in her hands, got really scared and went to a doctor. Everything she did at worked involved her hands. Most of the my working hours I sit at the computer and do the typing. I was wondering if I was in any risk of this condition. Thx

Women are definitely more prone to this condition than men, but computer use doesn’t increase the risk of developing this syndrome. Those who are at risk are people who do assembly line work, manufacturing, sewing, finishing, cleaning, and meat, poultry, or fish packing like your friend. Other risk factors are trauma or injury to the wrist that cause swelling like sprain or fracture; overactivity of the pituitary gland; hypothyroidism; rheumatoid arthritis; mechanical problems in the wrist joint; work stress; repeated use of vibrating hand tools; fluid retention during pregnancy or menopause.