For months I’ve been ignoring this noisy pain in arms and shoulders I have. I always thought that’s because I spent so much time working on my computer but in last month I’ve experienced such a terrible unexplained pain that goes through my arms up to a shoulder. There’s my colleague saying that I should visit a doc for carpal tunnel. I never heard of this diagnose carpal tunnel, so what is it and may it be pain in arms and shoulders related. Thanks.

Yes that’s for sure that carpal tunnel may be related with that pain in arms and shoulders you have occasionally. I had carpal tunnel 6 years ago and I remember well that pain that finally was so unbearable that I was unable to do simple things. I went to the doc for that pain and I was explained that my medium nerve located in carpal tunnel is under pressure. What pressures him is still unclear to me but in my case the cause of carpal tunnel syndrome was the arm injury I had few years ago and somehow it has worsen the things in my carpal tunnel. And don’t ask me how for I don’t know. Anyway there’re some other causes of carpal tunnel syndrome such as: rheumatoid arthritis, work stress, overactivity of the pituitary gland, or even the presence of the cyst or tumor in carpal tunnel and many other causes that are often not known. There’re many ways in diagnosing the carpal tunnel syndrome I personally was examined physically my arms, hands and neck was examined, my wrist was examined also for his tenderness and warmth, my each finger was examined for strength and signs of atrophy. Finally my doc said I’ll have endoscopic surgery which really helped me out for my symptoms was gone immediately but no matter that my recovery period lasted for months and I feel that I lost the strength in my wrist but the good thing is that I got rid of that noisy sharp pain in my arm and shoulders. And just to let you know the surgery is not the only optional treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome for there’re also some non-surgical treatments such as drugs and medication, exercise and alternative therapies.

Daily pushups keep me from getting the pain carpal tunnel due to working on a computer all the time. I have to do some pullups for a torn rotator cuff and that seems to work, also.

Traced back to an initiating incident (while transferring a person from a wheelchair to a motor vehicle, experienced a sharp pain in the shoulder) a persistent pain was attributed to a possible rotator cuff tear. An MRI scan was inconclusive -- it KIND of looked like there might be some damage, but the images weren't absolutely definitive. The decision was made to go into the shoulder via arthroscopic surgery. After all this build up and medical expense, when I came out of the anaesthesia the doctor, very apologetic, said no tear was found -- but while he was in there, he "scraped" something-or-another and opened up some room in the channel that the major nerve complex passes through.

"This procedure is called subacromial decompression or acromioplasty" for anyone who wants to google for details. Apparently this qualifies as the solution for the shoulder's equivalent of carpal tunnel syndrome. Having gone through this several years back, now I recognize the feeling as it begins to occur in the OTHER shoulder. Decisions, decisions.

Carpal tunnel syndrome is a compression on the the median nerve due to prolong typing, computer gaming and writing. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use