Wondering if anyone could help me figure this one out:

This all started six months ago. Had this girlfriend, Russian, who was having some green card issues, and was putting me under quite a bit of pressure to get married. I have some issues with trust/intimacy which makes getting to that "let's get married" place somewhat challenging, or at least not a terribly quick process. So this caused me a decent amount of stress. At the same time, I had some cavities filled. My left bottom molar in the rear died over the course of four weeks. I was in constant pain. Taking ibuprophen and tylenol like candy. Finally had to have a root canal. Lots more pain meds and antibiotics. Right about that time I also got in trouble at work for being impatient and rude with our customers.

Then this "thing" happened. I woke up shaking terribly. Basically like someone had just scared the absolute piss out of me. But it wouldn't subside. Went to the emergency room. They tested my heart and did a basic blood panel. Found nothing. Gave me a xanax and told me to go see a psychiatrist. I went to see my primary care physician and a psychiatrist.

I described my symptoms to them both: High heart rate, fast breathing, physically and mentally very jittery, poor appetite, difficulty sleeping. The sleeping thing I think may be an important sign. I go to sleep fine (around 10pm). But every morning around 4am something happens. That is when all the symptoms intensify up to the time I get out of bed. From 4am to 6 or 7am is just super crappy sleep. Then the symptoms slowly improve over the course of the day. They don't go away, just get better. Consider a scale of going from just being scared silly at 0% to fully back to normal at 100%. On a normal day, I wake up at around 30% to 50%. By the time I go to bed, I'm around 70% to 90%. Now, if this was psychological, why would my symptoms follow such a regular time schedule? What happens every morning at 4am? I don't recall having any bad dreams. The few times I do remember a dream, it's something silly - nothing to get excited about.

My primary care doctor ran more blood tests, had a 24 hour heart study, and a 24 hour urine collection test. Didn't find anything. So he was from that point convinced it was psychological. He had basically lost any interest any pursuing any other medical explanations.

I was willing to give the psychiatrist a try. It could have been psychological. I was under a lot of stress at that time. This guy thinks absolutely everyone who crosses his path has bipolar generalized anxiety disorder. Took medical leave from work and went to this clinic daily. Tried a bunch of different drugs on me. The only thing that worked was zyprexa, but of course, it's hard to notice any symptoms when your either unconscious or zombie like. They did test my thyroid level, which was normal. I did my own research online about other causes. Looks like vitamin B and magnesium deficiency can cause these symptoms. So I started taking both. Got fired from my job, since it was apparently too small to qualify for FLMA. But I did get somewhat better ver slowly. The only medication I am still taking is 150mg lamictal nightly. Which I think does actually keep my mood fairly stable, considering...

Three months later, I found a job. Extremely low stress. Great people. Very flexible. The ex-girlfriend and I are just close friends now. So all that pressure is off me. I have basically nothing to worry about, except this c**p. Like I said, my mood is decent. But the symptoms are still not going away. I am not stressed, or worrying about anything (except this, which is understandable, but not obsessively), nor do I think I am having any kind of anxiety attacks. Had a decently bad spell for a few days. I had stopped taking my vitamin B complex and magnesium. Started again, and felt better in a few days. Had another really bad spell for 5 days. That time I had only stopped taking the magnesium. I was already having loose stool and thought the magnesium would only make it worse. I made an appointment with an endocrinologist. He ran a full endocrine system blood workup. When I realized this spell started 2 days after I had stopped taking magnesium, I started again immediately. Within 3 days I felt much better. Of course, the doctor told me he found absolutely nothing. I asked him about magnesium deficiency. He said that could be. And he gave me some paperwork to get a blood serum magnesium level test.

Since then I have done quite a bit of research on magnesium and it's deficiency. Every single symptom I have is associated with magnesium deficiency. And it seems fairly coincidental that I feel worse when I don't take it, and better when I do, usually. Turns out that 99% of your body's magnesium is intracellular, not in the blood. Even read a medical journal paper about a study where a group of people with a known intracellular magnesium deficiency, the condition was NOT detected by a blood serum test for 90% of them! Holy c**p. There is some new ionized something test - don't know much about that. And there is something called the "exatest" where basically the doctor takes a skin scraping from under your tongue, put it on a slide, and send it to the lab. Supposedly it is a very accurate measure of intracellular levels. The only other way I have found it to actually be treated for it, with either IV drip or intramuscular injections. As long as your kidney function is good, you are okay. The various blood test show my kidneys are fine. I have also read in a few places (such as the book, "The Magnesium Miracle"), that rebuilding your intracellular reserves through oral supplementation alone can take 6 months to 2 years. Ouch. Since most forms of oral magnesium have a laxative effect, you can only practically take so much. More recently a few companies have come out with magnesium oil. Not really oil, just a super-saturated solution of magnesium chloride in a water base. It feels oil like. Just rub it into your skin. Those same sources said this method can take 6 to 12 weeks. Not super fast, but much better. I started doing that two nights ago. One rubbing before bed, and in the morning after showering.

The first night I felt amazingly calm and relaxed. In the morning, I felt a little crappy. But by lunch time I felt terrible and went home from work to sleep for a while. Went to bed fairly early. This morning woke up feeling quite shaky. But I still rubbed in some more oil. Slept most of the day, off and on, tossing and turning. Tonight I feel not too bad. Going to try doing the foot soak in the magnesium oil tonight. I am disappointed that I don't feel better, or at least not worse. It should always have a calming effect. The worse that should happen (as long as your kidneys are working properly) is you piss out the extra magnesium. I figure one of two things is going on: 1) My body has opened up a door, meaning, it sees much more magnesium in my blood, and has started to absorb it back into my cells, thus depleting it from my blood. or 2) The magnesium is having a calming effect, and without it, I would feel much worse than I already do. Maybe just having a sudden shift in my blood chemistry taking a little adjusting to.

Is there anyone out there who has had any experience with magnesium deficiency? Either being treated for or treating someone? I would love to hear how other people have experienced this issue. Maybe I am completely on the wrong track. Do my symptoms sound like they could be something else that standard blood tests don't show? Please share any thoughts you may have.

Thanks
Cameron

It sounds pretty straightforward to me--you have anxiety. You are trying to look at magenesium deficiency because it would sort of forgive you from having to investigate any other causes of this disorder, rather than facing any issues with your psyche. Does that make sense? It is something you will have to look through with therapy and a lot of intesnse self evaluation. What do you think? Does that sound plausible?

I have investigated anxiety. But I have removed all sources of stress from my life. And I see absolutely no correlation with any external events for when it gets better or worse. I also don't know why it would suddenly manifest at this time in my life. I have had much more stressful times previously. When I started the magnesium, it seemed to get better, but I was skeptical. Then I really thought I was onto something, but it then turned and got worse again. It moved against my expectations. Also, when the daily cycle starts every single day at roughly the same time, I doesn't make sense to me that some subconscious trigger would be that consistent. I did get to see a very good doctor who has several theories. But some of my symptoms, like dizziness (with normal blood pressure) are not really psychologically induced. I haven't completely discounted it being psychological. But how can I fix something when I don't see any triggers. It would have to be completely subconscious. Even then, there would have to be some kind of trigger, but I haven't been able to find one. Tuesday, feel okay, go to work, write code all day, go home, watch tv, go to bed. Wednesday, feel like c**p, go to work, write code all day, go home, watch tv, go to bed. ?

I have investigated anxiety. But I have removed all sources of stress from my life. And I see absolutely no correlation with any external events for when it gets better or worse. I also don't know why it would suddenly manifest at this time in my life. I have had much more stressful times previously. When I started the magnesium, it seemed to get better, but I was skeptical. Then I really thought I was onto something, but it then turned and got worse again. It moved against my expectations. Also, when the daily cycle starts every single day at roughly the same time, I doesn't make sense to me that some subconscious trigger would be that consistent. I did get to see a very good doctor who has several theories. Just labeling it psychological after two tests is just a doctor being lazy. And some of my symptoms, like dizziness (with normal blood pressure) are not really psychologically induced. I haven't completely discounted it being psychological. But how can I fix something when I don't see any triggers. It would have to be completely subconscious. Even then, there would have to be some kind of trigger, but I haven't been able to find one. Tuesday, feel okay, go to work, write code all day, go home, watch tv, go to bed. Wednesday, feel like c**p, go to work, write code all day, go home, watch tv, go to bed. ?

Well, definitely not anxiety. Tumor on rear pituitary lobe...

it happened for me at my work. I started to get shaky and thought I was going to pass out. magnesium and potassium defiency.

DCam: Since I am replying to such an old post who knows if anyone is reading. All of your symptoms point to magnesium deficiency as you have already determined. I don't know where the 90% figure came from when it comes to testing for magnesium deficiency. There is no 10% of people who are sufficient in magnesium as determined from a standard blood test or blood serum test. Only 1-3% of magnesium is even present in the blood---this means that a blood serum test for magnesium tells us 0 about the distribution of magnesium in tissues or in the left ventricle of the heart. A hair analysis is more likely to assist in giving a magnesium profile. The human hair gathers minerals as each hair grows, and this can give a 90 day profile helping to determine sufficiency. However, when it comes to magnesium the final determination will be made by symptoms and perhaps can be assisted by a blood test that includes calcium. Calcium is found in high enough percentages to measure and if calcium levels are in normal range that will assist somewhat in determining magnesium levels. Some deficiency symptoms of magnesium are likewise seen in calcium deficiency.

If indeed you are deficient in magnesium you should determine to eat magnesium rich foods as organic magnesium will be utilized better than elemental forms of magnesium. Good sources would be ( 2 nuts such as cashews, almonds, pistachios, 2) greens 3) spinach.

Your deficiency symptoms may indicate severe deficiency and this could disrupt the proper functioning of the heart. Calcium is responsible for the contracting of the heart muscle; whereas magnesium is responsible both for the relaxation of the heart muscle and the relaxing of the small muscles surrounding the arterial walls. If the heart muscle does not properly relax after contracting to pump blood it may give the heart a sound that is somewhat like mitral valve prolapse, and may have a tickling or fluttering sensation. You may do well to find a Doctor who is experiences in both contemporary and nutritional therapies. They are around, just do some research. If you choose to take a magnesium supplement I would go with a chelated calcium magnesium supplement 1/1 ratio.

I have experienced similar symptoms! Its horrible. Went to the doctor and got all sorts of tests done on a heart etc, but nothing came back. Luckily I was seeing an intergrated doctor at the time, and she suggested that I try a Magnesium supplement, and directed me to website which had an article about Magnesium Deficiency. 

I started taking magnesium product (like 4 capsules a day) and I am no longer getting the racing heart, muscle spasms, anxiety and panic attacks! It took a little while to build my levels up, but I can tell the difference when I dont take it!!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

It sounds very similar to what I have, which is MTHFR genetic mutation. I have had a hard time finding any Dr's who know how to treat it. I've had iv therapy which helped a ton but insurance stopped paying for it so I'm back to feeling tired and achy all the time. MTHFR mutations can cause a slew of health problems, including magnesium deficiency. Ask your dr if they will test you for MTHFR. It is much more common than Dr's realize, it's a fairly recent medical discovery, found in 1993.

I replied to health and fitness guy but I meant to reply to you. Please read it so I don't have to type it all all over again. Check out MTHFR genetic mutations. It's what I have and can cause symptoms like you describe.  Iv magnesium helped me a ton. Wish my insurance would pay for it still. I also have other vitamin deficiencies caused by the MTHFR mutations. I'm seeing a genetic dr in march for it. I've seen several types if specialists, none of whom know much about how to treat it. I've been through hell trying to find help for myself and Dr's always tell me I need psychiatric help and try to put me on antidepressants. I don't frikken have depression. One good thing is that I found a psychiatrist who knows all about MTHFR mutations and she agrees that it's not depression that's causing my symptoms. There is hope, I just have to be patient while researchers and Dr's try to figure out the best course for treatment. I even got a Porta cath implanted in my chest for my iv infusions. Too bad my *$#& insurance won't pay for a treatment for a problem they don't recognize in their list of covered diseases and treatments!! I don't work because I'm too frikken tired all the time and I my muscles ache and tire easily. I have early onset osteoporosis and I just turned 40. It's because this stinking MTHFR thing causes my body to not properly process and absorb certain nutrients and amino acids so as I grew in my adolescence my bones and joints didn't get the density that they should have. Anyway, I'm tired of typing and I'm going to bed. Best of luck.