Here's my story, sorry if it’s long. I've been having building anxiety problems now for a couple months. It started as "situational" due to some medical issues that were worrying me. This resulted in constant anxiousness, obsessive on-line research about diseases I might have, loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach issues. I left town for a few days to spend time with family and I seemed to get a handle on it, I was feeling better.

Last week I went to a Psychiatrist for the first time. At the time, I was in a better state of mind so I'm not sure if he really understood the severity of what I have been dealing with, I was talking about it from almost a past perspective. He felt I didn't need long term anti-anxiety meds, prescribed me xanex and sent me on my way. Since then, I have had a reoccurrence of anxiety symptoms that are seriously scaring me. I'm ready to go to the ER to get them to run every test imaginable on me to figure out what is wrong.

I go to bed at night, sleep fine (wake up a few times a night but nothing major). As morning comes around, even before my alarm goes off I start to get this feeling in my body that can only be described as adrenaline, or perhaps that almost shivery feeling you get when you have the flu. I can't stay still but I'm so tired and want to keep sleeping but I can't. My heart rate is relatively normal until I get up, then it starts to really race and I can't stop these sensations in my arms and legs. I took a xanex (.25 very small) yesterday morning and this morning and it subsided, but I'm scared that maybe there is another underlying medical disorder. Low/High blood sugar? Diabetes? Low blood pressure? Seizures? I'm terrified. I have a family member that thinks perhaps it’s that "fight or flight" response, but why only in the morning while I'm still laying in bed? I'm really really scared. I don't know if I should go back to the psychiatrist or go to a doctor, or even the ER. I can't keep waking up this way, its making me crazy.

I would go into more detail about how a lot of this started, but my post is already too long. I'm 28 years old. Thanks for listening or any replies.

Hi my friend

It seems to me that you are suffeing from obsessive ompulsive disorder

An obsession that you have something wrong in your body . About a year ago i was obsessed that i had skin cancer by having a small freckle on my chest that was different in colour and in shape.

I soon started to panic I did all test necessarily and everybody told me not to worry about its nothing . I still was convinced that i had something bad.

Soon i started having panic attacks and anxiety and couldnt sleep at night.

I recommend you to go and visit a psychatrist and tell him everything you are experiecing.

While I wish you to get better
Il wait for youjr reply soon

Regards from Malta

Celebrity
I suffered from anxiety, an for what ever reason im worse in a morning. If anything goes wrong in a morning i fall apart. Cry uncontrollable.
I make sure everything is done the night before, so i just get up, sit an have a brew,(i cant eat in a morning) Go have wash, get dressed an leave the house for work.
Im on mild antidepressants. They help alot.
My life over the last 5 years has had a lot of issues in it an this is my route problem.

I'm only 14 and i know little about GAD (general anxiety disorder) but since i might have it myself i have looked into it. According to your symptoms it is pointing towards GAD. I have experienced similar symptoms, only it'd be around 2:00 at night. One minute i'd be sound asleep, the next i'd be freaking over something like "o crud my labtop is making weird clicking noises...oh is it going to blow up?!" yes, i now overreact to the slightest noise. Also my heart worries me too. It beats irregullary, like it goes from normal 75 beats a min to 150+ beats a min, and what is peculiar is the whole 150+ beats a min always ended with my heart skipping a few beats. Panic attacks can happen at any time at any place and to any person. Some people experience them more than others. It would be a good idea to have a doctor or someone look into it, i've already been to the ER because of this, and i've only had it for 8 days! I hope you'll be able to find the solution to this problem. I'm still looking in to it. Good luck!

The description of your morning 'problems' sound very similar to what I have been experiencing for the last few months. Weird sensations in my arms and legs sometimes to the point where my muscles get very tense. The muscle tensions sometimes come very quickly, resulting in a small twitch in of my legs.

I also have this flu-like feeling - I'm slightly shivery and very, very sweaty. I'm talking about extreme sweating. I go in the shower immediately after one of these.

These 'attacks' go for 1 to 3 hours usually and I'm often late for work because of it. It feels like I'm half-asleep and something inside me doesn't want to wake up and it is fighting really bad. At the end, I snap out of this all of a sudden and I rush to prepare for work because I am already late.

I feel inside that there is some deeper reason for these. Sometimes I have slight panic attacks (just for a minute or two) during the day, depression when I am alone, etc. As I mentioned - in these mornings it feels like part of doesn't want to face reality and is fighting to stay inside the comfortable realm of sleep.

Hopefully, knowing that you are not alone in this will help you against the feeling that you are going crazy as I have felt sometimes. At least it helped me, thank you!

D.

I suffer from what I believe is general anxiety disorder and depression. I can tell you from first hand experience of dealing with this for over 10 years that the morning, especially just before you wake up is the _worst_ time. That's when I feel at my worst (extremely tired, adrenaline rush keeping me up, tingling sensations running behind my neck, shoulders and down arms). It's an awful feeling. I've found medications that have helped keep it under control somewhat:

1.) Elavil before bed (this helped me sleep through the night).

2.) When it gets _really_ bad, I take a small dose of Zyprexa. Zyprexa has some long term side effects that you can easily search for. I only take it for a couple of nights when I really feel the onset of an episode. So far, it's stopped me from going into 3 such episodes (I measure how bad I am by how severe the tingling sensations are). I took a low dose of this too (5mg and sometimes I even cut that in half). It worked for me and I didn't have the side effects that others experienced (mainly because anxiety takes away my appetite, I didn't take a high dose and I didn't take it for longer than a week). Usually just 1 to 2 nights can help me get back on track. Then I switch to hydroxine (atarax) for a few days after. Atarax is an anti-histamine that is sedating and non addictive. Atarax does well on mild anxiety in my experience. If you have severe anxiety it probably won't do much but dry your mouth out. ;P Hehe.

Just stopped smoking a month ago and having the same issues. All day I build up my confidence and look down on my anxiety. At night the insomnia keeps me up. Then I will wake up 1.5 to 3 hours into my sleep usually to a bad dream and from there it is just horrible. Usually it is just uncontrollable shaking, mainly in my thighs. My teeth will jitter and theres a ridic amount of adrenaline being pumped out during these. Today I tried to go back to sleep after one of these and would get the tidal wave feeling of an panic attack coming on. So I'd roll onto my other side and try that, same thing. This kept happening for about 30 minutes and then finally I went back to sleep.

The mind is a screwed up entity lol.

I had a similiar problem and eventually determined that the cause, for me, was excess production of a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol is naturally released as part of the body's reaction to stress, but chronic stress can result in too much of the hormone being produced. Cortisol production is at its highest point in the morning in order to prepare the body for the day. It is at its lowest point in the evening so that the body can prepare for sleep. If you experience severe anxiety in the morning but feel mostly normal in the evening, that might be a sign that cortisol is the problem.

The solution I found was to take an over the counter supplement called Phosphatidyl Serine or PS. Research indicates that PS helps to counter high cortisol levels and helps to repair the cause of the hormone imbalance. I took 300mg of PS before bed every night and started to notice an improvement after about four days. Within a week and a half my sleep pattern was mostly back to normal and I was able to wake up naturally without feeling severe anxiety. The PS upset my stomach the first night I took it, but otherwise I experienced no side effects. I was able to purchase the Phosphatidyl Serine at a health food store and it was somewhat expensive. Theoritically the supplement should only be needed for a short time until the hormone imbalance is fixed.

I'm not a doctor and all the information presented here is from my own research as a layman. In my personal experience the PS supplement seems to have helped with the severe anxiety I felt in the mornings. This may not be the case for everyone, and I would encourage everyone to do their own research and consult with their doctor.

I had the same problem and eventually discovered that it might be caused by a magnesium deficiency. I felt a little better after a few weeks of taking magnesium supplements. When I added a dose of vitamin B-6 100mg (taken in the morning to avoid vivid dreams) it was like flicking a switch. I woke up normally for the first time in seven months after adding the B-6 (which helps cells absorb magnesium).

I suggest looking up the symptoms of magnesium deficiency to see if that might be the cause. Apparently no one gets as much magnesium in their diet as they should, but there are factors such as stress that can drain magnesium from the body. For a more thorough explanation you might want to check out a book called The Magnesium Miracle.

Magnesium can be supplemented with over the counter pills. It comes in several forms that all work fairly well. "Chelated" magnesium is the best absorbed but more expensive. Don't take magnesium oxide as it is poorly absorbed. There is also "magnesium oil" which can be absorbed through the skin. Supposedly it is absorbed more easily than oral supplementation and helps restore magnesium reserves faster, but I haven't tried it out yet.

The correct dosage of magnesium is different for each person and can be anywhere between 200mg-1000mg a day. It's difficult to overdose on magnesium, but too much magnesium can cause diarrhea (which exacerbates the deficiency) so start with a low dose and work up. Vitamin B-6 can be toxic in high doses, so don't take more than the recommend amount if you decide to try a b-6 supplement.

Other mineral deficiencies such as potassium or calcium can cause similiar symptoms, but magnesium deficiency seems to be far more common. You may also want to look into Hyperventilation Syndrome, which can also be caused by a magnesium deficiency.

anonymous wrote:

Guest wrote:

If any of you have neck pain or have been in an automobile accident or experienced any type of trauma to the neck and have the morning or daytme adrenaline rush along with anxiety and depression, make sure you get checked out by a medical doctor who does prolotherapy. Your cervical (neck) veterbrae could be pinching the nerves to your autonomic nervous system and may be the cause of so many neurological problems along with physical and emptional disorders as well. I have been suffering for 7 years after I had neck surgery and I was just diagnosed with a rare disorder called Barre Lieou syndrome which I have described above. I am now getting prolotherapy and am praying that I will soon find relief. Please google Barre Lieou syndrome or prolotherapy and see if any of the symptoms sound like yours. It is most likely that your neurologist, psychiatrist or primary care physician has never heard of this or knows the proper treatment.

I too am really suffering first thing in the mornings, waking up feeling really low and nauseus. The last 2 mornings I have forced myself out of the house, once on a walk and once out on my bike to try to balance the adrenelin rush causing the anxiety. I will be making an appointment with my GP to find away forward as this is destroying me.

I know this thread is old but how do people find these doctors to help diagnose deficiencies? My doctors have only prescribed CBT therapy but I am certain there is some physical imbalance going on.

I feel the exact same thing for the past 2years now...I've had a lot of tests done to discard probable illnesses or diseases i might have...the results are all okey except for my cholesterol which shoot up to 250....can't really explain the feeling...it's panic,anxiety,fear...it's a crazy feeling everytime and will make you wanna go the the ER everytime in attacks you mentally and physically....hope someone out there hears us and help us....

Have you had your thyroid checked? If your TSH levels are low it could be hyperthyroidism. Other symptoms in addition to the racing heart and anxiety are weight loss, thinning hair and irritability