I was diagnosed with iron deficiency few months ago. Iron level was 20 with iron saturation of 3 and White blood count and hemoglobin were normal. I was put on treat the iron deficiency treatment for a day. Now, 8 weeks later, Iron levels have not changed much. Now are 24 with saturation of 5. Does anything explain why my iron levels have not significantly improved in 2.5 months?

I am not a doctor but I think that think normal count should be 35-150 with saturation of 15-55. In iron deficiency (anemia) the iron saturation is typically elevated, not low. You may also want to consider getting a serum ferritin which would be a better indicator of iron stores in healthy adults. Anyway, here are some answers to your questions on iron deficiency. Most common cause of iron deficiency is blood loss and The GI tract is the major cause for this. Gastrointestinal malabsorption of iron is a relatively uncommon cause of iron deficiency. Certain diseases associated with generalized malabsorption, for example is celiac disease, in which there may also be a component of GI bleeding. You should discus this with your physician.

I have the same situation, but my nurse practitioner explained that it may take up to two years to bring the iron count back to normal. It would be dangerous to take too much iron at once; you have to gradually bring up the levels. Plus if you menstruate you go two steps forward and one step back each time you boost the iron and then have your period.

Try taking it as "Ferrofood", that is a healthy capsule that digests easily.

G.