Hi, my friend who is 23 years old was very long on diet and she started to feel weak and tired few weeks ago. She went to visit her doctor and she told him about diet she was applying. Doctor told her that symptoms which she is experiencing are slight symptoms of vitamin B1 deficiency and that she have to take B vitamin supplements to get enough vitamin B1. I would like to know something more about vitamin B1 deficiency.

Hi, it is common thing in people who choose diet without vitamin B. Very often people eat polished rice or just small amounts of pure white bread in their diets and that cause vitamin B1 deficiency. Also alcoholics who don't have regular meals are in the great risk to experience same deficiency. Symptoms are burning sensations in the legs and fingers, loss of weigh and sleep disturbance. Severe deficiencies are characterized by severe heart, nerve and brain disorders