I have had an extremely heavy heartbeat for the past year. I had been to a doctor several times, and found nothing wrong. Currently, I don't have health insurance and it is worse than ever. It is not irregular at all just very heavy. Sometimes it keeps me from sleeping at night. I can feel it constantly working or resting-it is distracting. I am about ready to walk into the triage nurse at a hospital.

Any ideas on what this means and if I should be seriously worried? I also have blood in my nose constantly, but I don't know if that could be related in any way. I've heard that's fairly common.

Thanks for any help.

Just curious if you received any replys from your post. I, too, have been experiencing a very heavy heartbeat, mostly at night, and keeping my awake. It's more distracting than anything, not painful or associated with any numbness or anything of the like. I'm wondering if it may coincide with a new medication, Crestor, as I've seem to first notice it the heavy heartbeat when I starting taking it. Are you on Crestor?

I have a similar feeling. At night when I sleep, my heart races for no reason... and I can feel it beating unbelievably hard and fast... thudding... but not like palpitations... it sounds weird... but it feels like how my heart speeds up when I am anxious or excited... I wonder if I am just more aware of my heart...even while i read this I can feel it beating steadily but very hard.... maybe some people are more aware of their heart?

I have recently had similar problems on occasion and it was not until I had to go to see a doctor because of an ear ache that I found out that my blood pressure was dangerously high, over 160/100 which is classified as the highest level of hypertension. Normal blood pressure should not exceed 120/80 My blood pressure never even occurred to me as I am only in my 30's, have never been overweight and so I was shocked to find this out. I am not sure if this might be the case with any of you who posted these questions but definitely something to have checked out.

Untreated high blood pressure put you at risk of stroke, kidney damage as well as a long list of other life threatening things. I am certain due to my age that my problems originated from stress and anxiety but I also smoked and drank way to much (probably because of the stress and anxiety) which are both major contributors to elevated blood pressure levels. Usually there are no real symptoms to high blood pressure which is what makes it very dangerous. I however did have a very heavy beating heart at times, even to the point of nausea. I would also feel very jittery sometimes because of it. I would notice the heavy heartbeat thing significantly more and much more severe after I had been drinking and probably smoking way to much the night before too.

To the person who mentioned having blood in their nose, no this is NOT fairly normal at all, in fact I think this is one of the possible symptoms of hypertension. As far as not having insurance, neither do I but if your blood pressure is high it is not something you can screw around with. At the very least, find a pharmacy that has one of those free check your blood pressure machines. If it is higher than normal you are going to have to see a doctor (insurance or not) and possibly be put on medication or a different diet to lower your blood pressure. When you find out the risks involved with high blood pressure believe me a doctor visit is not going to seem very expensive anymore.

Good luck, hope this helps.

I too suffer from a heavy but steady heartbeat when I lay down to go to sleep. It pounds so heavy that the bed itself moves with the pulses. I have also had it happen while lying on the couch- it's weird feeling the furniture move in time. I thought it was all in my head- until my wife felt it too. It is sometimes accompianied by headaches and increases my tinitus (ringing in the ears). I thought it may have been blood pressure related- but my blood pressure at rest is 111/69- definetly not high blood pressure. I have had occasions of irregular timed beats- like a third beat on the trailing edge- but it hasn't happened in the presense of my doctor. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hey,
im only 16 and i have the exact same problem. I can't sleep at night and therefore can't get up for school in the morning. I am very athletic and thoroughly enjoy my footy and surfing but ever since this has occured i havn't been able to do either. I am so sick of it and i just want a quick solution. I have also had my blood pressure checked out and it is at the normal level for my age. I must say thank you to all you guys because before i read all your entries i felt so alone and i was afraid of dying.
anyways if you find a solution get back to me....

Thanks everyone, I agree with the post above I thought I was dying! It stressed me out more than normal, I still don't know why my heavy/hard heartbeat is the way it is and I wish it would stop. I also have the tinnitus, and the only treatment I can think of is the suggested treatment for tinnitus which is tryptophan (read this article for more deets):
http://www.tinnitusformula.com/infocenter/articles/treatments/trypto.aspx

I also have oesophagalitus now and again, but that might be a separate issue and I have large pupils which contribute to my serotonin deficiency syndrome (read the article), so just wondered if anyone else had any of these two issues. I am not on any medication so that is not the cause, but I sometimes get chest pain (but as I am a woman, this could just be cyclical breast pain, so should be ignored really, unless others get it too but i am sure it is a separate issue.)

I am 43 and became aware of my heartbeat, when waking at night from brainstem concussion. My pulse was 48 (low for me) and beating hard. Tests were normal. Cardiologist said 48 is normal when sleeping and less beats means the heart has to beat harder to get blood where it needs to go. He also said that due to heavy exercise I may have been dehydrated which can cause a hard heartbeat. My own theory is that I'm underbreathing during sleep due to head injury which affects heart rate and beat, tried sleep study but felt too tangled to fall asleep and stayed up all night.

Hi I've had the same problem too - all the tests came back negative - till an alternate medicine practitioner told me it could be an allergy and asked me to cut out one food at a time - when it came to knocking off the wheat, I felt much better - he said you could develop an allergy suddenly!

Well once again you have another person in the same boat as yourself. I have experienced this heavy heart beat for about 3-4 years now. At first I thought I was anxious. Everything checked out ok then I had tests done, EKG, heart monitor, blood pressure checks, blood test. Everything tests ok but my blood pressure was slightly higher than normal. I have read tons of studies and have come to the concussion its about the diet. If I eat spicy salty, fatty, fast food, soda, coffee, energy drink, smoke, HIGH fructose CORN SYRUP, sugar, and any food with alot of preservatives or modified or enriched ingredients. Really I have no other answer but when I eat healthy and stay some what active with exercise things seem better. Its always there (you know the feeling that you can feel your heart) but its usually lighter and less notice able.

Feels like George Foreman is trying to punch his way out of your ribcage, right? My heartbeat moves me, my bed, throws me off balance, and feels like im in a boat, out at sea! Blood pressure goes from high to normal, normal pulse rate, I am extremely active, ringing in ears, frequent nose bleeds, and, oh, yeah......I AM FULL BLOWN BIPOLAR!!!!!!!!! Never smoked, drank, used drugs, (ya know - to stay healthy), am 39 yrs old, what could have possibly caused all of this??? hint: for the answer (mine, anyway), google DIPHENHYDRAMINE - the ingredient in the otc sleeping pill that Ive been taking religiously for the last 10yrs. Thankfully, I wont have to SUFFER(far beyond anyones worst nightmares) much longer, as us bipolars have a rather high suicide rate!!! god bless us, EVERYONE!

hello everyone.im only 19 years of age going to 20.
im not diabetic.no high blood pressure ever.
ito start off iv'e been very concerned about my heart health.it is eating me alive...just like the person that said that the bed moves witht he pulses...well it happened to me yesterday.the bed shakes as each heart beat ends....i was born with a minor heart deffect that 95% of infants are born with,but the doctor said im fine?what should i do......?

i have had a heavy heart beat off and on in intensity for 20+ years. sometimes it drives my crazy (like this week) but what i have concluded is that it is diet or digestive related. I think my stomach spasms and then triggers the vagus nerve which in turn kick starts the heart. beta blockers help but not completely when its full blown. I can control it 90% of the time with a careful diet but some triggers I miss and have to suffer through it.

My case probably isn't as serious, but sometimes (and just now) my heart thudded loudly a few times. I didn't hear it, but felt it. A few times a week this will happen, usually when I'm thinking about my heart (which might be the problem, like Tlee said--I might just be anxious as well). There isn't any pain when it happens, but sometimes it makes me a little scared and I feel a hot sensation in my chest sometimes when it happens (because I'm startled about the heavy beats). Sometimes I have pain but I don't think it's my heart; just indigestion or something (I hope anyway). I don't have high blood pressure, but it's a little higher than my sister's, who recently took an aerobics class (says I need to do more lol). I walk places and can't remember the last time I took an elevator but I could do more.

Anyway, I hope everyone's cases aren't harmful and I hope the symptoms get better soon.

I think I've been stressed lately so that might be why my heart thuds loudly at times. I don't think I have anything to really worry about because the heavy beats aren't that frequent--once or twice a week with heavy beats a few times during that time period and the heavy beats only last a few seconds. Most of the time I'm thinking about it and that's the only time I notice.

As for being a side-sleeper, I am, and when I'm on my left side I hear and feel my heart beat more. I read somewhere that it puts stress on the heart to lie on your left side (but I do sometimes anyway).

Best wishes everyone.

Check out my topic The Cure For Most Illnesses"

Search The_Truth_Wilson for the cures

I have learn a lot from my own trials with this problem and have found what works. There are Many other benefits.

"We love to waste money on thing that kill us and Hate to invest money on things that Heal Us" -- The Truth WIlson

Time to Wake up Peoples. Invest in you life. Invest in you Health