Do you all have it where you live?

We have it here and it's wonderful (not that it's wonderful to hear about abducted children or anything).

This past weekend, two girls (ages 16 and 2) were abducted in Tucson. The 16 year old had taken the baby out for a walk and were abducted. I awoke this past Saturday morning to the alert coming on my TV. My husband heard it on the radio. There was a strip going across the bottom of our TV screen throughout the day as well. Fortunately, both girls were found safe by Sunday.

Well, DH just called on his way in to work. He said he just passed a traffic screen (one that tells how the traffic flow is) and another alert has been posted. I don't like hearing that another child is abducted, but I'm glad that everyone in Phoenix is going to know about it.

I guess if one of my children were to come up missing...I'd want the entire state, country, world to know.

Have you witnessed the Amber Alert yet? It seems to be working.

they used to be issued for only non parental abductions. I personally think it is overused. People are too quick to implement because the parents want it implemented.
Most I mean 99.9 percent are found within the first hour.
I cannot tell you how many kids have been found napping in a closet or something.

The first thing we ask when one parent calls is where is the other parent. A lot of these Amber alerts are parents taking the kids anyway.

The system as designed is very successful but is being overused.

We have it in MA. I've only seen it a few times only on the highway signs. I'm not sure if it's fully in effect here. One time I saw it was when a mother who didn't have custody of her 2 kids took them and they were serching for her. They did find her and the kids were ok!

I think we had it in Indianapolis, and I think we either have it here in Charlotte or they're working on it (road signs part, we do see these things on the tv as they happen).

I agree, it's sad that it happens, but since it is a reality, we really need the signs in place everywhere.

I think it's every parent's worst fear, that their child(ren) will be abducted. This is why I am so protective of my children. It's why I walk Libby to the bus stop 4 houses down. It only takes one wacko and a few seconds to snatch a kid. Scary times we are living in, no?

We have it, and it's been effective (as far as the news has reported). That said, i never hear about it until the next day when the kid is found.

I've driven past the highway signs and they will say 'Amber alert: missing 12 y/o girl abducted in white pontiace license plate xyz 123' or whatever and that has to be helpful. I think its a wonderful thing to be able to get the information out so wide spread so quickly.

We have it. The case is based out of Arlington where I teach and our PD gives a class on the case to the kids. I think it's a great tool and resource. I hope people don't become desensitized to it and begin ignoring the alert tones and messages.

I have not seen it used.

Of course, we don't have many abductions...so that's probably why.

I think we have it, but by the time it gets to Maine it's a Pastel Yellow Alert.

what are there 4 kids in SD outside of your family?

Ouch! Ouch!
but,
good point