Not really as much a question but more a comment. I see people running in the strangest locations or on the oddest terrain and I don't understand why. Here's an example:

Where I live there are miles of awesome crushed gravel trails that wind through forests or along creek beds behind houses. If a harder surface is your style, then plenty of quiet suburban streets.

Why do I see people running on the busy 2 lane highways near my house? Cars and trucks are whizzing by at 55 mph (100kms') every second, the shoulder on the road is full of garbage and road kill and there's a decent chance you could get killed.

I also saw a guy running through a development site where new houses were going to be built in the middle of an already built up neighbourhood with the same trails and streets as mentioned above. Why would he choose to run in the rough terrain, dangerous, muddy construction site?

I'm curious.

Maybe they don't know where the trails are?
Maybe the construction site is closer to home?

I used to drive 3 miles away, park in the valley, to run on the most flat land I could find. I was really scared to run on the State Route I lived on.
But now I have embraced/resigned myself to running on hills, and found if I run early in the morning there is no traffic problem.

I do run in the next town, in the local park system too, for a nice flat run. I tend to do this for my long runs and after work in the winter time where I am still trying to get out in the daylight.

I hate people like you. :moon: The best thing about running is that you can do it anywhere (other than it being free). For me, those two things are the greatest things about running. I have resigned myself to parks and secluded areas as I get leers from people and such. And even there I do also (people honking their horns etc...). Back in the day, when I was in the Netherlands, I just stopped running for that very reason. Another female student also stopped running for that reason and also because the local busses would stop for her thinking she was trying to catch it. Things like that were not isolated incidents. You have to run somewhere, so best thing for me would be to run right out my front door for half the distance I was planning to run and then turn around and run back. That's what those people are probably doing.

when i was running very regualrly, i drove almost 20 miles to get to some trails by the river.

i could drive just about 3 miles and get to the silver comet (a paved path) but it doesnt have any shade overhead and gets really hot. and its so crowded during prime running time.

although, since we will be in the house soon, and i will only have to walk about 20 FEET i wont have any excuse, um i mean ill probalby start using the silver comet path more.

"I hate people like you. "

Right back at ya pal... :moon:

Sure, if there's no where else to run then you have to run where you need to run but that's not the case. The paths are right there, very visible for all to see and use. There's no law against it or anything and I don't really care where people run, I just find it strange. Why would you want to run amongst fast moving cars, sucking in all their exhaust when you could be running on a quiet path through the forest?

I heard one persons theory which works for them. They said they like to run on a stretch of highway because there's no way to back out. Once you start done the stretch you have to keep going because there aren't any side streets that you can go down and take a short cut.

Interesting.

Maybe they have the highway and roads measured out for distance and don't have that done for paths and trails.

Good point. Never thought of that.

Good point. Never thought of that.
That's usually my problem outside. There are some trails close by, but I have no way of knowing distance, whereas on the roads/sidewalks, I can jump in my car and figure it out.

Mostly I stick to trails, gravel roads, off the beaten path streets, but do on occasion find myself in a predicament where I might run someplace awful like a 4-lane 55-mph. And when I think about it, usually it happens if I'm in a city I don't know exactly where a route will lead and if I end up having to hoof it down a 4-lane for a half mile to get to a trail then I will or across construction or whatever. Or sometimes I just wander off in my mind and willy-nilly take this street or the next and without realizing it, find myself having to zip down the 4-lane a bit to get back to a route I know will get me back to where I started.

I live in a small town and I have a route that takes me around prolly 3/4's of it in about 3 1/2 miles or so. I rarely have to stop for cars or anything.

I run different places... we have trails both paved and dirt nearby. Perhaps it was just a change of scenery.... or they were on their way to one of the trails/paths. I like to park my car at my firehouse and run down the road to one of the development trails. The street my firehouse is on is pretty fast moving, but I'd rather park my car somewhere I thought it might be save. Just my :twocents:

Sometimes I do a 6 mile loop that goes thru the center of town. The main road thru town has a speed limit of 30 and everyone - myself included - does 45-50. The shoulder is wide and there's the occasional traffic light to slow it down so I feel safe.

My town also sports an abandoned hospital complex on 370 acres (the former Kings Park Psychiatric Center). One road thru it is still open. I do 3 mile loops on the wide, empty road. I see only one or two cars per hour taking a shortcut, and a lots of other locals use the fields and roads as a park.

I do most of my running around the local parks and bike trails. I can do about a 10 mile winding loop starting right out my door without having to cross any major streets. The path system either tunnels under the major roads or has foot bridges over them. There are lots of sections of wooded areas and a couple of small man made "lakes" to add to the scenery. In the winter they keep this path cleared of snow (but still lots of ice). Its pretty good seeing as I live in a densely populated urban area.

In the summer I can also drive about 10km and do another 10 mile loop through a much more heavily wooded conservation area that follows a river. This path is nice because most of it is either dirt or gravel, but they don't clear the snow in the winter.

I run where ever I feel safe. IF the roads are to busy I try and find a trail or an alternate route.

Everyone has their quirks on why the run where they do. I don't mind the mud of the trails I end up on while others hate it.

Depends on the time for me. I live in Atlanta, so if I'm not up and out the door before 8 am (Impossible somedays with 2 small children in the house) I get on the treadmill. I prefer to run on the trails along the CHattohoochee, but something about paying $3 every time you want to run ticks me off!