Our company's health insurance renewal arrived today. 8O

Our rates went up 42%. :x

For the last several years, we've required only a minimal contribution from our employees. Last year it was a bit more substantial ($19.00 every two weeks), but we didn't feel unreasonable. If we keep the contribution where it is, it's going to cost the company almost $70,000 more over the next 12 months. Sadly, we can't just bite the bullet.

I'm wondering: How much does everyone contribute for health insurance if you're in an employer sponsored plan? And, do you know what percentage your contribution is of the overall cost? Are you happy with the level of what you're required to pay?

I can't remember who said it, but the great line on this whole issue is: Americans want all the healthcare someone else will pay for.

Insurance companies are the biggest corporate rape there is.

I pay $97.47 every two weeks. That's only 25% of the premium, my employer picks up the other 75%.

BIG FATTY on that score! Don't even get me started on the malpractice thing either....we are losing so many qualified doctors because they can't even afford the premiums for malpractice insurance and are being forced to leave the state because it's apparently cheaper in NJ and DE. I was just talking to my surgeon about this at my last follow up visit. People always accuse doctors of crying poor while they drive around in BMWs but did you ever stop to think what it costs in overhead to staff and run a successful practice? Add astronomical costs for insurance on top of that and it's pitiful. Our company fortunately requires a very small contribution but we're a huge corporation so that could be why. Smaller companies and private firms get really raped. :(

I feel the American health insurance system used to be about the best in the world but could have used a few tweaks. I was self employed most of my life and they really sock it to self employed people compared to corporate employees. There is no good defense for that as far as I'm concerned. I had the same body when I was self employed as when I worked for Tyco but Tyco was paying $340 a month for insurance that I couldn't afford when I was self employed. It would have cost me over $1600 a month for it if I could have found a company that would have sold it to me as an individual. Tyco didn't pay the medical bills so it's not because the cost was spread over more people. The "more people" were the insurance company's customers including the onesies like me so the price should have been the same either way. When I closed my business and went to Tyco I had been paying $330 a month for a $5000 deductible and $10,000 out of pocket policy, so I paid for all my doctor's visits myself as they never totaled $5000 in a year. The hospitals had a funny way of billing too, which didn't help. A procedure they billed insurance $400 for would be billed at about $4000 to someone without insurance because the insurance companies negotiate with them. They do the same with Medicare except Medicare tells them how much it's are going to pay so that $400 would be more like $65. If we could get rid of all that political wrangling and negotiating most people would be able to afford their own medical bills with insurance picking up the most onerous bills.

Is that for you, the Mrs. and the kids?

$91.85 ...same biweekly & %.

Is that for you, the Mrs. and the kids?
Yup. The company I work for only has 8 or so employees.

Careful... the Labor Dept is cracking down on those "or so" employees. :P

Forgot the details (not good with them)...but I pay $55 bi-weekly for the wife and I...

We have a menu selection for benefits - X amount of dollars to spend on whatever we want. I pay about $390/month for healthcare for me and the kids and 70 buck for dental for the family and that is less than my monthly flex credits. The rest goes to a dependent care account to pay for daycare.

Here me and you agree Melissa

traditional blue cross which is awesome.
pay $65.00 bi weekly which is reimburesed by Robin's company as salary package (their rates would've gone through the roof because of Abby, it was cheaper for them to pay for mine, plus mine are better)

Abby is supplemented by State medicad because she is disabled. They pay whatever blue cross does not (which is very little they pay a bunch of stuff at great rates too)

we even have no maximum and we know Abby is in excess of 2.5 million right now.

Here me and you agree Melissa :1: This is where my job is absolutely the best in the world. For my PPO, I pay nothing. Its 100% covered. 8O

thanks to my union I have wonderful health insurance. Select Blue HMO no co-pay! prescriptions are $5-10. We just got new dental coverage today which is also Blue Shield ( a subsidiary) and we have vision that covers some of the cost of glasses or contacts.