Okay so my mom died giving birth to my little sister, Amber. And two year's later my dad died in a accident at work. At the time Amber was two, I was 9, and our older sister, Morgan, was 19. After he died, I started noticing she wasen't as happy. She wouldn't give hugs and kisses, she wouldn't talk, she wouldn't interact with other kid's. I was vary depressed to but I have gotton over it, she still has not though. She dosn't talk to other kids beside's in our family, she starves her self, Morgan and I have to force her to eat, she cry's her self to sleep every night no matter how hard I try to comfert her. She seem's to be more comfortable around men then she does women, even our sister, so if she get's upset I have to deal with it and on top of that I have a set of 6 month old twins to take care of. If Morgan has to stay after school or come home early or if I have to stay after work Amber get's scared and cry's, if you call her by her old nick-name- Monkey- she cry's and freaks out. I don't know whats wrong with her, Morgan and I talk about therapy for her, but what does any one else think?

Many psychologists believe we have memories from inside the womb! And even though Amber did not know your mother, there might be that sense of loss for her! Then with your dad! Even though she was little - there is something on her mind with this! And also children see more, hear more, interact more then EVER before - there are children just slightly older than Amber who attempt suicide - as they see it on TV, The news, The internet (if they can get on that etc.) and just like a neglected dog - who FREAKS out if the new parents don't come home! Those early memories - I believe are inate in Amber!

The 1st thing you and Morgan need to do is get Amber into see a Pediatrician! Talk to her/him in depth about what is happening, starting keeping a journal - that you can both write in - to see if there is any triggers (sometimes food allergies can bring on childhood depression), how much sleep she is getting, what does she eat and drink etc.? and then the Pediatrician needs to get Amber a referal to a psychologist! Now on the Title it says depression in a 6 year old! So does this mean that Amber is only 6 and being left alone? Because this isn't good - I know that you and Morgan have your fair share - BUT Amber is just little and being alone is a TRAUMATIC thing!

There is an expression - "Show me the boy of 5 and I'll show you the man" what it means is, by 5 years old this is the basis of the child's personallity and it doesn't usually change from there on out! So with ALL that Amber - and you two of course - have been through, these patterns of being afraid to be alone etc. are engrained in her, and she doesn't have the tools to change them! She needs help honey - and even though you both have done a commendable job, it is out of your skill level and she needs some therapy to be able to get over this turmoil inside of her!

I hope this helps you, and hugs to ALL 3 of you honey! I dare say that perhaps ALL of you would benefit from a Grief Counselor etc.

thanks, :).......But no, we don't leave her home alone, she is ether with me or Morgan, or our aunt, or cousins. She was vary close to dad as a baby, because at the time Morgan was a party hardy teenager, and I was to young to take care of her by my self, so it was all ways my dad taking care of her.

Sammy, keep in mind that not only Amber- monkey wasn't the only one affected by the death's. When aunt Marley died I cried so much and also when uncle Bob died. They were great people. Amber is vary close to my mom, I think it might have to do with the fact that my mom look's so much like your mom. Have you been in the tree house latly? If you go up there go into the storage part. She had pictures of your guys mom. Andy told me. And yes I do have to say she like's men better, she will go to Kyle and Andy and Chris and my dad, but she is shy around me. She does need to go into therapy though.

I love you Trishy (:

so IS Amber only 6 years old? IF so - I REALLY do think there might be more physically going on with her compared to mentally! She was only 2 when your dad passed away - even though there IS that connection! Due to life's challenges - and learning about life etc. Then I doubt it's ALL about th epassing of your parents. There are studies showing that children of parents who have passed away or left etc. actually miss the opposite sex - and they don't know why!? Some specialists have said it is because we are group animals and that we WOULD miss a motherly or fatherly influence! And others say it is from our stories and our own relationship with our parents etc. So I TRULY think this is 95% physical and 5% emotional! Something is uneven here! Please keep me informed at how things go! Good luck honey!

Yes she is only 6. And by physical what do you mean?

As in allergies! I know it sounds so negligable, but believe me it's not!

"Did you know that food and/or chemical allergies can create emotional, behavioral and mental symptoms such as panic attacks, compulsive behavior, depression, psychotic episodes, or hallucinations? They can also contribute to many less severe mental and emotional symptoms such as anxiety, irritability, inability to concentrate, or feelings of being in a mental "fog". A surprising number of people have been able to eliminate such troubling symptoms simply by removing the allergens from their diet or living environment.

Such allergies are more likely to be present in Candida overgrowth sufferers, because of Candida's destructive impact on the integrity of the body's tissues and functions. The good news is that it's usually possible to identify and treat allergies that cause mental and emotional symptoms."

Also MANY people are allergic to scents - even REALLY faint smells can be overwhelming to them, cleaning products, food, pollen etc etc etc! And most of the time you can't tell ALL that you are allergic too! She REALLY needs to see her doctor and ask for a allergy test! Possibly a hormone test too! 

I have a REALLY strange question! She's not growing breasts is she?!!! As younger and younger girls are getting their periods!

She's not alergic to any thing, we have had her tested for about every thing we could think of.........and no she is not growing boobs or having her period

Why did they give her an allergy test?

idk. I think it was because in my family we have a history of being alergic to sertin types of perfum and when she was about 2 she started getting all the sings of being alergic to something, but it turned out it was just allergies. Idk though....I don't really remember, i could ask Morgan though

I think we might have a winner here! And I will tell you why! Allergies - ESPECIALLY to chemicals, perfumes etc. don't manifest themselves like a peanut allergy or ragweed etc. They can show up in certain ways and over time - your body keeps fighting them! Also the BIGGEST bady boy - black mold! And sometimes you can't see it or smell it! And THOUSANDS of people have suffered with different ailments - including depression! Until they get tested! My eldest is now allergic to cats and dogs! Wasn't before! So sometimes we grow into allergies! And it sounds SO minimal everyone just waves it off! BUT it can actually be one of the most dangerous things out there!

People who live in moldy environments may also have more depression, finds a study of 5,882 adults living in 2,982 households, published in the October 2007 issue of the American Journal of Public Health.
The connection between mold and mental health surprised even the lead author, epidemiologist Edmond Shenassa of Brown University, who was skeptical of the mold–depression link suggested by smaller studies. “We thought that once we statistically accounted for physical factors like crowding and psychological aspects like not having control over one’s living environment, then the association between mold and depression would vanish,” he says. But rather than debunking the notion, Shenassa found an association between mold toxins and depression.

that's cool, well I mean not that u can get depressed from it but the fact that chemicals can do such stuff. My mom had really bad allergies to any type of mold so our house was mold free when she was alive, Morgan still cleans for mold, we don't have any though. But her depressed like mood didn't show up until our parents died, I was the same for a while and so was Morgan, she still is, not as bad though. Amber does have some happy moods some-time's like she like's to snuggle, and she like's to take walk's in the wood's behind our house, and she like's to see our family. When she see's our aunt Balea- who can't speak english- she carries long full conversation's with her in Italian. She never speaks Italian around Morgan and I. She was taught by our dad, me, and Morgan. Since both our parents were born and raised in Italy they wanted us to speak the language. Aunt Balea look's a lot like our mom did, just smaller. When you said that from the womb babies can have memories, that made me wonder, if she could remember what mom looked like or something. Could it be possible? And she has seen many picture's of mom.

Have you ever seen documentaries where there are baby seals or penguins born! and they ALL look the same! So HOW does that little baby know where his mom is and what she sounds like? I believe it's the same, and not so much that physical connection with your mom or your dad, BUT the mental/emotional connection, DEFINITELY! Like a baby calming down after it smells it's mother or father or hears their voice! Also she WILL pick up on your sadness, and even though there are pictures around and you both might be saying "this is mommy and this is daddy" she will pick up on that it is still a sad thing! BUT sadness is completely different than depression! Thus me thinking about allergies, I just showed you an example of what black mold can do, but what about dust, cleaning chemicals, laundry detergent, etc etc? The list goes on! So right now the only thing I can think of is getting her into see a doctor for a FULL workup and allergy test!

I'll tell Morgan about the allergy thing with the chemicals, and we can make an appointment.....maybe I can get it in with my daughter's appointment this Friday? (you go to a pediatrician for something like that, right?) .......but idk why, I just get the feeling like it's depression.....In health class we watched a video about depression, and it said that babies can be born with it, it just goes by un-noticed until an older age.......so if it were depression I guess we wouldn't really know until she was a bit older, maybe even her teen's? Okay I got, allergy test for now, and if it's not allergy's, maybe think about it being depression?