Good Morning America raised an interesting quesiton based on this story Do you know all the words to the national anthem (without googling them)? Apparently 2/3s of Americans don't, and they are blaming the lack of school funding for music classes.

Just off the top of your head, what is after bright stars?

Through the perilous fight.

I like the fourth verse:

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand Between their loved homes and the war's desolation. Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation! Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.' And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

were so proudly gleaming

through the perilous night

Just checked. It's not night, it's fight.

I haven't looked it up yet Through the perilous fight? blight? sight? fright? might? quite? trite? light?

I haven't looked it up yet Through the perilous fight? blight? sight? fright? might? quite? trite? light?Fight is right.

were so proudly gleaming How bad do i suck?

this is about to sound very shallow but when i was in high school, i was a huge baseball fan and went to probably 1 game, sometimes 2 games a week when the Pirates were home.

i have no problem reciting the lyrics to the National Anthem but i really believe it's because i "learned it at the stadium"

I'm teaching the lyrics as well as the tune to the 4th graders right now. The words are difficult, need to be "interpreted" to the kids, and the tune is nearly impossible to sing well. btw, the tune is an old drinking song.

That's where I was when we learned how they came to be written, so it made sense.

Funny you post this today, since it is flag day.

Sheldon

I thought flag day was in June...no?

My favorite Star Spangled Banner story took place a couple of years ago. My oldest son's wrestling team was hosting an invitational with 20 some teams and of course a gym packed full of wrestling fans (parents and siblings mostly). It was announced for everyone to stand for the national anthem and so everyone did. And the tape that was supposed to play the music crapped out. Dead silence in the gym. And then one of the kids on his team started singing it and slowly everyone chimed in. By the time we got to the dawn's early light that gym was rockin'! I've never heard an ovation for the national anthem like I did that one when it was over. It was one of those small things in life that I will never forget.

That sounds great.