Hello Everyone. This is my story. I do not know what to do. My son suffers from Schizophrenia but refuses to take medications or acknowledge that he has a mental disease. He was once a cheerful, well adjusted, fun loving, compassionate person. He is now withdrawn, suspicious of everyone, mean, rude and accusatory. He has delusions which are outright lies and acts on them He accuses his brother of being the father of his child..By the way my son had a DNA done which says he is the father 99.9..but he still insisted that his brother is the father. He thinks everyone is out to get him and he is completely anti-social. He accuses everyone of being demons witches etc. He does not attend any family functions and the only time he tries to act civil is when he wants something. Money or favors. He had a psychotic episode last year and I took him to hospital . He was perscribed medication but refuses to take it..Lately he has been texting me all kinds of vile accusations and all are lies. I feel quite apprehensive and really fear him. I don't want to abandom him emotionally but the more contact with him the more he accuses me of ridiculous things. I can take it, I don't get comfrentational but I actually fear him, Don't know what to do.

Whoa, your are in a hard situation. I'm so sorrry to hear that. Well, for one you need to be and feel safe, that should be a number 1 thing. The fact that you don't feel safe should send off a red flag. I would maybe admit him. I see this alot and it can be very scary and it can get out of control. Its a hard thing to do, but he sounds like he needs more help then you can give him. You and your family need to be safe.

Hey Tryingtohang,

I agree with Britt brat- the only help you might be able to give him is to have him admitted to a mental health unit.

If he's not taking his meds, he's refusing to take control of his illness- does he believe he has schizophrenia or does he think that it's an exterior control tactic? He certainly has the symptoms of paranoid schizophrenia. There are sub-catagories and not every schizophrenia sufferer has the same experiences. Paranoid schizophrenia appears to be the most common sub-type.

There is little you can actually do, but contact your son's mental health worker or doctor. Schizophrenia is a psychopathic illness and sufferers who have active symptoms cannot define events as connected to their illness. In other words, no matter what you say or how much you try to convince your son that he's ill & having delusions- he won't believe you. 

Perhaps limiting contact- be there, but be there at a distance. When he starts his accusations, try and ignore them- don't get drawn in to trying to defend yourself; it will be useless. As odd as it sounds, if he throws you an accusation- stay calm and ask "why do you think that?" let him answer and then move on- talk about the weather, a TV programme, etc- try and keep to emotionally dead subjects. Do not talk about people- people conversations spark off more emotion.

Even if he tries to steer you away from that subject or throws more accusations- bring the conversation back to an emotionally neutral subject.

And just stay strong- don't get dragged in to thinking that it's personal.

I'm sorry for what you are going through.

Good luck & best wishes.

V

Believe it or not he admits himself, they keep him for three days and release him to the world once again. I always answer his accusations in "Peace be with you and I love you", Oh and he doesn't communicate verbally. Its always a text.If by chance he has to see me , it's aways something that he needs like money or assistance and those encounters a very strained and tense. He is always anxious, agitated and aggressive in person. I'm hanging in there, I realize that it is not personal. Thank You so much for responding..

Thank You for your response.