Do you use one? Have you in the past? How long and how often have you done it???

I keep thinking I need to splurge for a little while and hire one at the gym. I have done the same workouts for years and not only are they dull, I need to ramp them up to lose some weight--I am just stuck and want to lose at least 10 lbs. I feel like I'm at an impass and need a boost!

I'm wondering what would be most beneficial. I could save some money and try to get them to pair me up with someone, too. It would only be for a limited time as I can't afford to just always do it.

How often would be most beneficial? Is once a week enough? I assume they would help me plan out the rest of my week and we'd do things together that one day. Or twice a week? How long to really get some benefits?? I feel like I need someone to push me on weights and extra cardio, but when it comes to just my run or something I don't need them standing there with me.

Any advice???? Thanks!

Being a running board and all, smack me if this is too obvious a question.
Are you running? Miles per week?
I'm an old school believer in cranking the miles to shed the pounds :coach:

I had one once. I got 2 sessions with my gym membership. She showed me how to use all the weight machines (not just the 4 that I exclusively used) and gave me 2 weight routines to alternate that supplemented my running. The routines were helpful in that she went through it all with me and was able to say "this is the weight you need to start at, this is the number of reps and sets and you need to increase this at this point" etc. That was 4 1/2 years ago (and I wouldn't mind doing it again), but I used that routine for a while. I found it beneficial, but her hourly rate had I not gotten a joining special at the gym was out of my league. So...for a splurge and if you know one who comes recommended, I'd say do it. Mine really shook up my workout rut and introduced me to new moves/machines (and muscles!).

Yes, I'm running, but not a lot. I'm with you on believing that running really helps do the trick. I know for me, running is the best cardio I can do.
But I'm still not back in the swing of running much. I'm doing 2-3 miles maybe 3x week. I can't seem to get over the 3 mile hump since having Avery. I get to running more and feeling better about it, then bam, it's a bad week, kids are sick or something happens and I don't get to the gym. Or my foot feels tender and I get scared of another stress fracture.
But I really want to up my miles. I thought working some with a trainer, too, would only help the cause, so I'm mulling it over.

talk to jackedup.

she gave me an easy to follow weight routine that i can do at the gym or at home. she included some ab exercises too.

i bet she has all kinds of other advice too....

Helllloooo! :wavey: JU! Whats up! Fatty here...needin' some advice...
Great tip CF! :thumbsup:

Hey! :wavey: I'd be happy to send you the weight and ab routines. I'm pretty busy tomorrow so if you don't hear from me give me the weekend to get it to ya. :wiggle:

If you get a chance that would be awesome. ANd if not, I'm pretty busy too, so no worries!
Thanks JU! :wiggle:

When it comes to that (and more), she's full of it :P .

JU has given me much input like what you got, Froggie. All of it good.

Hay what can I say? I love to torture, I mean help people, yeah that's it. Always happy to assist folks, always.

Do you use one? Have you in the past? How long and how often have you done it??? I keep thinking I need to splurge for a little while and hire one at the gym. I have done the same workouts for years and not only are they dull, I need to ramp them up to lose some weight--I am just stuck and want to lose at least 10 lbs. I feel like I'm at an impass and need a boost! I'm wondering what would be most beneficial. I could save some money and try to get them to pair me up with someone, too. It would only be for a limited time as I can't afford to just always do it. How often would be most beneficial? Is once a week enough? I assume they would help me plan out the rest of my week and we'd do things together that one day. Or twice a week? How long to really get some benefits?? I feel like I need someone to push me on weights and extra cardio, but when it comes to just my run or something I don't need them standing there with me. Any advice???? Thanks!

Spend a session or two with someone holding the CSCS credential. The CSCS certified strength and conditioning specialist is the BEST. The rest are sub-par. Most trainers are sub-par. Do some one-legged training (balancing, squats, RDL's, lunges). Do some step-ups, split squats, and try to train movement patterns instead of isolated muscles. Machines are mostly a waste of time for runners, since they train muscles in isolation, without coordinated function, and too many are seated or lying down. Dumb, many of them are. I weight train 1-2 times per week, and that's all you need. But make it efficient, and stay away from trad bodybuilding exercises, for the most part. Although there's nothing wrong with squats, dead lifts, rows and many others. But you'll need more.

Somebody needs a good enema. I'm just sayin'.

What is CSCS? I assume you are certified as this based on your advice.

CSCS = certified strength and conditioning specialist
No, am a candidate for that. Hoping to take the board next year. My experience is as a team physician for NCAA baseball, and former tour physician for the Gravity Games, AVP professional beach volleyball, team physician for professional soccer and private practice sports medicine for over ten years. I have worked with many elite and national-class athletes over the years. I've also worked in clinical psychiatry and psychology and have an EMT. I have a lot to share, with the hope that some will find it useful. I've learned a lot as a runner, mostly the hard way.

COME ON YOU PEOPLE !!!

Lay off the "Doctor"or we will lose him.

Read again what the "Doctor" has to say. So far, he is the only one to come up with any exercises to get 'Molly" on the track and whereas I cannot comment on the professionalism of Gym/Personal Trainers versus Strength and Conditioner Coaches in the US., what he says is very close to the mark in OZ.

Certified or not "drwright" once again offers good sound advice.

Incidently "Doctor" this is the second time I've gone to bat for you.
Just don't want people here to think you're getting a warm, damp glowing feeling in your pocket.