Hi, I'm 66 years old and I have strong migraines and terrible headaches as a consequence of the migraines. I have tried using many analgesics to treat the headaches but with little success. At first medicines would work wonderfully but as the time passed, I guess was getting more and more used to them so eventually their effect would wear off. One of my friends gave me a pill of dilaudid to try it and the headaches disappeared instantly. Could I use dilaudid pills for treating my headaches?

First of all, before I begin explaining what dilaudid is and what’s it for I have to warn you strongly not to take any medications from your friends or family without prescription and medical supervision because it can be extremely dangerous for your health. Now few words about dilaudid: dilaudid is a derivate of morphine and it is one of the medicines usually called opiates. They are all derived from morphine and have some common properties. One of these properties, the most important and the most dangerous one is the heavy addiction they create in people who are using them. On the other side opiates are very strong analgesics and can control the pain very effectively. Because they are so addictive and the possibility of overdose and subsequent death caused by the overdose they are heavily regulated and controlled by medical staff, so I'm surprised how you got dilaudid in the first place. Dilaudid is used for various purposes mostly for controlling post – op pain, some neurological diseases and so on, it has fewer side effects than the rest of the opiates but it is still dangerous to use without medical supervision. As for your migraines, there are many other medications you should consider like Midrin and similar meds. With proper therapy and supervision by your doctor they should have similar effect without using dilaudid. Next time before using any kind of medication that you can't get over the counter in a pharmacy store be sure to consult your doctor about it.

I just happened to stumble across your post here, and while the poster above me is pretty much right I would like to say that I myself have the same kinds of horrible migraine headaches you have and nothing ever helped for me until i was perscribed the exact drug the poster above said, Midrin. This drug helped me for a while until my headaches got so bad that it wasn't helping, and my doctor eventually perscribed me another drug which didn't help, and then Dilaudid. So yes I would say that if you go to your doctor and explain the kind of pain you're in, you could probablly get a perscription for dilaudid just as I did. But as the poster above me said, yes it is a very dangerous and addictive drug that you should be careful with.

I had strokes and now severe migraine, I was perscribed dilauidid, but it doesn't seem to help. In the hospital they gave it IV, and now the pills are 2mg. What are you guys taking and how do I ask him to get a higher dose if necessary ?

TO ALL WHOM TAKE DILAUDID MEDICATION:
MY 26 YEAR OLD BROTHER DIED FROM AN OVERDOSE OF THIS MEDICATION. HE HAD AN ADDICTION TO LORTAB, BUT HE WAS MESSING WITH MEDICINE THAT HE KNEW NOTHING ABOUT, THE END RESULT WAS THE LOSS OF HIS LIFE. THESE MEDICATIONS ARE NOTHING TO PLAY AROUND WITH. TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS PERSONALLY.

Hello everyone, I take dilaudid for my migraines due to the fact that most medications had not helped me. I agree that it can become very addicting so you have to be careful. I get the 2mg pills and I can take up to 2 pills a day/no more than 3X per week. I have tried everything, I am only 27 and I am tired of the migraines, they are running my life.
I have a great neuro but its so hard to get into him and his nurse can become very mean at times. I know its because she cares and is worried about me but when I am in pain all I want is for the migraine to go away.
If anyone has any ideas for me that would be great.
Thanks Kim

hello everyone, i'm a 28 yo female and i can truely understand what all of you guys are dealing with. i have suffered from migraines since i was 15 and have yet to find an effective way of dealing with them. i have tried almost every pill and potion they have and the only real relief that i get is when i finally resort to going to the er and getting between 2-8 mg of dilaudid. i hate having to do that, b/c being in the health care field, i know that a lot of the doctors and nurses look at migraine sufferers as nothing more than drug addicts when we walk in and tell them what does and doesnt work for us...i'm just now waiting for some magical breakthrough to help us understand why we are getting migraines and how we can effectively put an end to them

This works, to a point. If you are truly suffering from migraines you are most likely causing what is called a narcotic rebound headache. Your best bet is to get into a neurologist and see if you can get a prescription for a medication in the triptan class like immatrex, relpax, or zomig.

However if you have been diagnosed, as I have, with a garbage diagnosis of "new daily persistent headache" none of the aforementioned medications will work including popular drugs like midrin. One current treatment option is Botox injections into the scalp every 8-12 weeks depending. There is a large report of success with this treatment with most patients that do not respond to the normal plethora or migraine medications.

So, before starting a narcotic regimen that is HIGHLY addictive, see a neurologist, get a real prescription for actual migraines and don't start with a treatment that is reserved for the migraine patient that will "live like this for the rest of [their] life".

I had suffered from headaches for years & finally went to see an allergist. Due to severe allergies, I took 4 allergy injections for the first year each week then tapered off for about 4 years to about 1 x a month. The headaches I was getting did decrease but I then began to get Migraines. After keeping track of the triggers such as food like lunch meat, read wine, & environmental I determined along with my Dr that severe barometric changes were the trigger. I tried several medications but the only one that works is Imitrex. Due to its expense, I asked the dr if there were any other alternatives. One thing he mentioned was to take Riboflavin ( B2) & CoQ10 100Mg each 2 x a day. Although I don't take this regulary, I have noticed when the weather is going to change I will take this combination for a few days prior & have noticed that in a lot of cases I dont even get a migraine. This has helped signifciantly. I avoid artificial sweetners, lunch meats, & red wine. Wheat is also known as a trigger. Just sharing some info that might help...

I have also had migraines since I was 15. I am now 38. Every woman on my mother's side of the family suffers from them. Over the years I have tried many many medicines. Loratab, Midrin, Imitrex, Zomig, I can't even name them all. When they get really bad, I end up in the emergency room and usually get a shot of morphine. My doctor gave me a sample of Relpax. I have to say, this is a miracle for me. I take it as soon as my migraine starts and it gets rid of it without me losing my entire day. I know everything doesn't work for everyone, but I really suggest giving it a try if you haven't!

I too, have found Relpax works very good for my migraines.

I am also a chronic migraine sufferer and I went three times in the last two weeks to the emergency room and they gave me a shot of Diaudid and nausea medicene and sent me home all three times. It came back five hours after my last trip so I went to a different Er and they gave me a medicene called DHE and phenergan and I no longer have the migraine. The Er doctor I saw explained to me that Dilaudid works while the drug is in your system but after it wears off you get the headache back some of you sound like you have been lucky and it worked, but she said it is very common for giving you rebound headaches which is what was happening to me. I would recommend getting the DHE if you dont have a preventive and have a migraine. DHE has been around since 1946 and is a well know regimen. So talk to your doctor and give it a try!!!!

Wow, reading all of these post about doctors giving Dilaudid for migraine's. I have been suffering for the past almost 2 years now, I have been to the Cleveland Clinic, all around the State of Ohio, and every neuro that I deal with yells at me for taking ANY type of narcotic medication. Nothing works for me, other than Dilaudid, Toridall, and phenergan combined together, via IV. My doctors, refuse to perscribe me ANY type of pain medication what so ever. Since September of 08, I have been to the ER (that's what my doctor tells me to do if the pain is bad) over 40 times. Now the ER is accusing me of being a drug seeker etc, but as anyone who knows me (my wife, my parents etc) when my headache is bad.... its really bad.. I am so confused, i get tired of hearing the narcotics cause rebound headaches... Not for me, I haven't had them. I have been admitted to the Hospital for 1 week 2 seperate times since this is started, and I can't get any help. So I guess, you all are being treated well, and I have to deal with this c**p, that has ruiened my life, family, job etc...

Well what they didn't tell you about DHE, is that it can cause you to have a heart attack.... plain and simple....... I had it one time when i was admitted, and it scared the c**p out of me.

I have suffered from migraine headaches my entire life. I found nothing that would take my headaches away every time until i was prescribed RELPAX. It's like magic and has made my life much better, I no longer worry about the next headache. It is expensive (about $50 for 9 pills) even with insurance.