I am 15 years old and i only weigh about 112 pounds.  I've had type 1 diabetes all my life it seems and I have trouble gaining weight.  Does anyone else have this problems?  I would love it if someone has a way I can gain weight so I look more healthy.  People think I am anorexic but I'm not. 

Hello, guest.  I see that you are struggling with gaining weight so you feel more healthy and look better.  What has your doctor said about your gaining weight?  Is your weight lower than it should be according to the doctor?  What was suggested to gain weight if you do need to gain?  As a teenager, you need the calories and nutrients from healthy food such as from vegetables, fruit, and milk products.

Since you need to stay within your carbohydrate allotment, you should increase your protein or your fats in your diet.  Fat has a higher caloric density than carbs or protein.  Fat has 9 calories per fat gram vs 4.5 calories per gram in the other two nutrients.  You will want to choose perhaps a diabetic meal shake with higher calories if you are having trouble eating more than you need to.  High fat foods are cheese, cream, and other dairy products.   You have to watch the carb grams in some of these foods.  Protein choices are meat, eggs, and soy products.  Fats and protein will not affect your blood sugar so you will be fine with adding them to your diet as tolerated.  Peanut butter has fat and protein so you could add that to your bread or your shake to make peanut butter shake. 

Is there anyone else who has this problem of trying to gain weight but has to follow a diabetic meal plan?  Does anyone have any helpful advice?

I have had a swollen stomach for almost a year. I informed my Dr. Also showed him. It's hard.and looks like Im at least 6 months pregnant and very tight. Im 59 and only weigh 99 lbs but when stomach is more swollen I weigh a couple more lbs but not fat. I recently found out I have gastritis. But my stomach has been swollen and tight before that. Im very concerned about my weight and swollen stomach. Would so.eone please reply or help with this. I also try my best to gain weight because I look hideous for being a Grandmother. It's humilating to me.