hi,

i am 30 years old and i have checked with a pregnancy test postive. im married for 7 months now. i have been overweight always with some weight loss and gain with intermittent exercise. after marriage i have put on more weight and my BMI is 29 at present. i am feeling very lethargic and cant really do any work myself. can u plz suggest some exercises to make me feel better and also keep my pregnancy weight gain healthy and under control. and what is the ideal weight gain for me since im overweight already.

please help me get a safe and healthy journey while pregnant.

thanks in advance.

Well, BMI of 29 definitely is a warning sign for you to be even more careful in your pregnancy - if you are overweight you know well that yourself, you have a bigger risk for number of conditions and pregnancy itself adds to this list. But, more than a half American pregnant woman are in your situation, so your ob-gyn will be in a position to give you the best advices. What you definitely must not do is to start reducing calories or anything like that, but some exercises that you can manage are always a good thing

https://www.steadyhealth.com/videos/Pregnancy_Exercises_vc47.html

Woman who are not overweight gain up to 35 pounds at the end of the pregnancy, but for women who are already overweight, the this gain should be 20 pounds at most. Or, roughly, you should gain about 2-3 pounds after the first trimester of pregnancy.

thanks a lot. will consult my doctor as soon as possible. and thanks again for the advice.

You're welcome and I wish you the best during pregnancy! Just don't worry too much over this, that is probably worse - you being worried and nervous, than few extra pounds. You just eat what you need to give birth to a healthy child - healthy food shouldn't make you gain too much weight anyway. SO, little bit activity, consultations and thing are going to be ok :-)

thanks again. i feel a bit relaxed and excited. oh yes i have one important question. can i have some steamed veggies, some soups and salads instead of having only carbs all the time to control my cravings? i believe veggies have less calories but more nutrients. is avoiding carbs some times ok or do i have to give my body, the required nutrition with more (or extra) calories from rice, wheat etc.

the reason im asking this is that, when we go on a diet we usually have to feed on veggies fruits and salads etc to cut down calories. and i heard one should'nt diet while pregnant. so can you plz clear this confusion of mine to get the better choice. :-) ?

You definitely must not go to any kind of diet when you are pregnant, that is what your ob-gyn will tell you also. And, the most important thing is to keep your diet balanced, so fruits and veggies are a must - they contain all the vitamins and minerals and carbs and proteins must give you enough energy because you now eat for both you and your baby. So, your meals should have a little bit of everything and the best thing to control the appetite is to make yourself more smaller meals - that way you wont get hungry enough so you get tempted, but you will also eat all the things you need to keep yourself healthy. Oh, and fresh fruit and vegetables keep all the nutrients - they loose much when they are cooked, so only short steaming.

Hi, Congrats on your pregnancy! You are not alone, I too am overweight and pregnant.  Weight has always been a problem with me, and I was worried because I want the best for my baby.  My doctor told me not to reduce calories, but to avoid things like soda (unless I can't keep anything else down), and avoid fruit juices.  She said no diets, but weight watchers is okay because it's less of a diet and more about balancing what you are eating.  She told me not to gain weight.  That, I feel, is impossible, but I plan to do my best.  My doc also said that you can have 1-10lbs of water weight, so to watch it on a daily basis.  Just try to add fruits and veggies to your diet and your doctor can tell you how many calories you should be having.  I think I read that you only need 200-300 more calories a day, not double, as many people think.  You can give into some cravings, like anything, if you deny yourself 100% of the time, then you're gonna go completely crazy.  Limit it.  A couple pieces of dark chocolate a day (again, I think it's like 2-4oz).  Have one treat a week, not a whole cheat day.  And most important, you're gonna have days that are better than others.  If you have a bad day and eat stuff you're not supposed to, don't give up.  Start again the next day and do what you can.  Walking is the best exercise because it is low impact.  DO NOT EXERCISE HARD.  You should be able to carry on an easy conversation.  My doc gave me a package of stretches and light exercises, I don't know if your doctor has something like the available.  Good luck and I hope you have a healthy pregnancy.  

thats nice of u for this valuable advice. i havent really got any advice about exercises or stretches but i have started walking in premises of my home. im also trying to takecare of what i eat.luckily i have no vomitings and very very mild nausea that too rarely.
only thing im concerned now is i have some uterine cramps which i felt when i missed my periods. initially when i had those cramps i thought i was getting my periods. then i tested the urine to get a positive pregnancy and read on the net that cramps are common and is a early sign of pregnancy but i have cramps again sice 1 week, they are not very sever but i want to know if i have to worry or is it common for few more days. now i have completed 8 weeks.

I still get cramps too and I'm at eight weeks.  It's your uterus expanding.  It freaks me out because I'll be sitting and get a twinge and I'll worry.  Good luck with your pregnancy :D

hi there,

im not feeling very well since few weeks. its almost a month now that there is nausea all day. no vomitings though... i dont feel like eating anything at all and the sight of food makes me feel more sick. i hate to see any kind of vegetables and fruits.. i get advices from everywhere to have fruit juices, but the sight of a fruit makes me feel worse. i also went to see the doctor and she prescribed a tablet which made me sleep all day and dint feel that sleep healthy either. dont know how long this is going to continue.. im worried now!!

It's common to be nauseous, although I certainly understand that being sick all day is no fun.  I have days that it's hard to eat, but you have to eat.  Plain rice chex, saltines, and the like are bland and sometimes are easier to keep down. Some woman have "morning sickness" throughout their pregnancy and others it gets better after you reach your second trimester.  I'm 11 weeks today, and I still have morning sickness real bad sometimes.  Car trips make me sick, and anything can turn my stomach enough to make me vomit.  I know the medication they gave me helps, but it can make me sleepy, and when it's really bad, nothing can help.  Ginger-ale helps me, sometimes even water is too heavy for my stomach.  I wish I could tell you that it will go away, it might, but there is no way to know.  Good luck, I hope it gets better for you.

thanks for a quick reply... i really wish it gets better soon for me and for u either. i know this suffering and how it feels. takecare and all the best. i guess i shud be 10 or 11 weeks now. will visit my doctor in a couple of days. 

good luck to you and takecare.

Good luck with your appointment.  I hope that you feel better soon and that your doctor can help ease your discomfort.

Hi there!

I'm back after a long time. How r u guys doing? I'm happy to say that I'm feeling quiet better now. I'm in my 6th month.. It's exciting! I'm eating well these days in contrast to my 3rd and 4th months. I have noticed that, my weight has gone up by 5 kgs since my conception. I know I'm already overweight but it's difficult to control the weight. Still I'm not overeating at all. And co

Ing to physical activity... It's bad! I can't get early hours to go for a walk. And in the evenings I feel bored to go out. But just wanted to know how much amount of walking should i do atleast in my home premesis and can u plz suggest some home exercises for a better progress in my health.

swettha03 wrote:

Viperbunny wrote:

Hi there!

Glad to hear all is well. I am also in my six month now, and things are going well, for the most part. I am thinking about switching doctors though. I had a uti and kidney stones and she was telling me to take tylenol and ice it and I would be fine. The pain got worse and no matter how many times I called her, she told me that I just had to wait until it passed. I got so sick my husband took me to the hospital and the nurse and doctor we surprised, they didn't know why I wasn't taking anything for the pain and when I told her my doctor told me pain medicine could hurt the baby she was not happy. She told me, left untreated, I could have gone into labor as I already had some contractions. My doctor told me at my 20 week appointment that my little girl was small, and the labor and delivery doctor told me that was ridiculous, that it was too early to be small and from the ultrasound (and the facts she wouldn't stop kicking me, lol) she was perfect. I was also having my doctor test my blood sugar, with my weight and the fact there is diabetes on both sides of my family. One test was slightly high and she decided I have gestational diabetes, and again, the labor and delivery doctor was shocked I hadn't been sent for a glocouse intolerance test especially since my numbers are good and the "goal numbers" my doctor wants me to hit are unrealistic and not healthy. This was Monday, so I am shopping for a new doctor.

Wow, sorry, that was a rant. I am just so mad because my doctor made me feel like no matter what I was doing I was wrong. I lost 12lbs in my first 4 months and only gained back about 4. I have been swimming and she was yelling at me for not doing pillates. I cut out most of my sugar and have been eating great, and she put several more restrictions on me, that no one I know thinks is reasonable. I think my doctor doesn't like me because I am overweight, but the things is SHE told me to get pregnant now, because it was the best thing for my health and now she treats me like I am being irresponsible.

I hope everything is continues to go well with your pregnancy :D