I am 6 weeks pregnant and I am worried that I will gain a lot of weight during my pregnancy. The reason is that my mother had gained a lot of weight when she was carrying me, so I want to gain weight smart. What are your advices?

Many women think that as long as they gain a lot of weight that their baby will be healthier. This is not the truth and I suppose you realize that. The fact that your mother had gained a lot of weight during her pregnancy does not imply that you will have the same "problem". When you are pregnant, you need to get enough calories from your food to nourish your baby and you do not need to eat for two in terms of the amount of food that you eat. A pregnancy diet only requires an extra 200-300 calories a day during the last six months of pregnancy and it is best to receive these extra calories from healthy foods. A range of weight that you should gain is usually about 20 to 35 pounds. You will gain 20 pounds just by being pregnant as your breasts, uterus, and baby get bigger because the placenta, bag of waters and extra blood and body fluids are included in these 20 pounds. An additional 5 to 10 pounds are needed for adequate nutrition for your baby and if you are overweight, you should not try to lose weight during pregnancy because this can be harmful to the baby. Overweight mothers may have larger babies. They are at higher risk for diabetes during pregnancy.