I am 18 years old and 3 months pregnant. Everything is ok with my pregnancy except the fact that I have gained a lot of weight. I would like to do something about it but don't want to hurt my baby. Can I lose weight without risking the health of my baby?

You are not the only woman who is struggling with the enormous weight gain during pregnancy. Also, you are not the only one who is trying to do something about it. However, you need to understand that the body's priority is to supply the fetus with nutrition. This means that you can lose weight as long as you have balanced diet because that way fetus will get all the nutrition it needs. Some women today become overweight during pregnancy because they neglect their eating surveillance. They often have hard time in deciding whether their weight goes up because of fatness or the growth of the fetus. So, it is important to be extra careful with your diet in every possible way. At the beginning of the pregnancy, calorie requirement is normal and at the end it is a few hundred calories higher. But, during breastfeeding you need about a thousand calories more a day than normal. Hypothalamus is the organ which controls appetite and it develops during the first six months of the pregnancy. There are some studies that show that if the mother eats too little at first six months of the pregnancy, the hypothalamus gets excessive compensation for hunger which leads to overweight. However, these results are based on investigations of women who ate less than 600 calories per day. If you decide to make some changes in your eating habits, make sure to contact your doctor first.

you must consult with  a good doctor which can guide you in this respect because its really a serious and complex problem. 
Don't rely on the information provided by the forum member.

Thanks guys  for sharing all this incident...!!! but according to yoga and exercise is one of the best medicine for weight loss problem.

gowing wrote:

That's right..u should keep an eye on the food you eat now that you are pregnant. You should control food intake, in order not to gain so much weight but u should also see to it that the health of your baby will not be sacrifice. when I was pregnant I used to eat plenty of foods like rice, fatty foods and chocolates and sweets without control and the results were I gained 10 kilos and I had problems in giving birth that i almost experienced Cesarean Section, but that was almost. But u must talk to your Ob-gyne first before anything else.