I am a 24 year old who has just begun running purposefully. In the past week, I have had some difficulty with my legs. First, my right knee became sore and was mildly bothersome while walking following a run. The real knee pain was in walking up stairs, lasting a few hours following a run. It seems that maybe something was too tight so I started stretching better. I haven't been able to see if the stretching has worked because of another problem with my legs: There is a certain place on the shins of my legs where a blood vessel sort of "puffs up." Once this blood vessel puffs up, sharp pains are felt at that exact spot when my feet hit the ground. I have a few theories, but I'd like some other opinions before I offer them as explanations. Please tell me what this might be.

sorry, but that sounds like you need the advice of an MD...the blood vessel thing just scares me. i'd get the opinion of a doctor before anyone else.

I just started taking a multivitamin (Centrum Silver) and the problem started around then. I discontinued use and am not sure if the problem remains. I will find out during an attempted run today.

Hopefully, you don't have deep vein thrombosis. But, you may just have tibialis anterior muscle strain (shin splints), and the "puffed up vein" may have absolutely nothing to do with your pain. Usually, foot strike during running causes musculoskeletal pain, i.e., pain in your muscles, tendons, bones or joints, but is not related to vascular pain (associated with vessels). But, if you have calf cramping that is relieved when you sit down, definitely check it with an MD. My guess: shin splints.
Your knee pain could be quadriceps tightness or possibly strain, or it could be chondromalacia patella, which is usually worse going downstairs (eccentric contaction of the quads). It could be patellar tendonitis, or something else. Check with a sports chiropractor or MD. My guess: chondromalacia patella.
Sounds like you have "doing-too-much-too-quick" disease. How much do you weigh? How long are your runs? How many miles? At what intensity (pace)? At what frequency? Do you warm up? Do you cool down? Do you stretch before or after a run? Do you perform active or passive stretching? Are you ever thirsty? Answer these, and I may be able to help even more.

HIGHLY DOUBTFUL that the multi had anything to do with your symptoms.

Hey...I was curious as to what the outcome of your symptoms were, and if they resolved over time. I have experienced similar symptoms and was wondering if there was any cause for concern?