Hello, guys. My friend has been complaining on his knee pain for weeks. At the end, he decided to visit a doctor. He was diagnosed with chondromalacia. I don’t know much about this condition. Is this some kind of hereditary disease? I would appreciate if you could tell me this. Thanks.

Hello, there. Chondromalacia is not a hereditary disease, although it may sound like this. It is caused by the damage of the patella. Various factors can cause this. If the person is younger, muscle weakness can be the reason. Also you can consider unusual kneecap alignment. Injuries can also cause this. As you can see, there are various factors. I hope your friend will be all right. Bye!

Hi, there. You can consider cartilage as a natural shock absorber as some people look at it. When it loses this ability, then there is chondromalacia. I agree with the possible causes mentioned in the previous post. I would just add arthritis as another possible cause. It is more characteristic for older patients. In any case, your friend should consider his treatment options. I hope he’ll be all right. Good luck with all! Bye!

i have cchondromalasia. it occurs in all the wonen on my fathers side of the famile. it has everything to do with the way the hips are formed, in vitro. i wore orthopedic shoes as a chile for flat foot. again in my family's case, it has everything to do with how the hips are malformed in vitro. i was never able to wear high heels. when i see women wearing high heals i associate it with pain. most cases of chondromalasia do not have hereditary factors, as it does in my fathers family, to all the women. our hips were not formed correctly while in our mothers wombs.