Hi. My 19 years old son has some sort of a number phobia. He has a problem differentiating between left and right and a poor sence of direction. He hates math - never can say which of two numbers is the larger. So, he was diagnosed with dyscalculia, a neurological disorder affecting a person's ability to understand and manipulate numbers. His IQ is normal, and I would like to know what could be the cause of his condition? He`s good in science and geometry and wonder if that diagnosis is correct.

Hi. A person can have a dyscalculia and have a normal, or even high IQ. They are usually dealing just fine with logic matters, but when it comes to formulas… Nobody is sure about the cause. But, it could be neurological. Another cause could be deficit in working memory. Some say that working memory is a major factor in mental addition. A low IQ could be the cause, but, like I said, people with normal or high intelligence quotient can have dyscalculia. Not the case with your son, anyway. Maybe his math teacher has some bad method of teaching, hard to understand? Some experts say that dyscalculia could be a hereditary disorder.