Hi, my child has math problems. I have talked to his teacher about it, but she says that there are too many children in his class so she can not pay special attention to my son. This is why I have decided to try and help my son on my own. The problem is that he does not understand my explanations. Can you give me some tips so that I could help my son wit his math problems?

Hi, I can say that math problems are common among children. I remember when I was a kid the things I had to put up with my parents. They were very strict. If I couldn't get trough a lesson, they would give me some kind of sanctions. However, this is a completely wrong way of helping your child with his math problems. It seams that kids have difficulties understanding the questions. You should try to simplify them. It might help. Also you need to be patient while explaining. At the end, if you feel that you are not helping your kid, hire a private teacher who will do a better job.

I can say that I have been in your childs situation. For me, I just didnt understand it, and it was pure torture for me. School in general was a nightmare, with math topping it off.  Maybe like me, your kids situation is not that he doesnt want to understand it, but CANT!! Like me, all the numbers would and still do get "jumbled" in my head. The worst was when the teacher would put me at the chalkboard, and I didnt understand it, or would count on my fingers, and all the kids would yell at me that I was stupid. This was NOT a condition conducive to a positive learning environment. This went on for almost the entire year. Did I mention that this was for 9th grade math? One day I got so frustrated with all the jumbled numbers in my head that I chucked the Algebra book accross the room into the wall. They took me out of that class. They had NO business putting me, with a 3rd grade math knowledge in a stinking Algebra class! I am now 45, and I still have a 3rd grade math knowledge. I DID graduate HS(diploma) but I had to be in a lot of special education classes throughout school.  No, I did not attend college, but went into a vocation(not Goodwill) that I have been at now for 22 years, and been successful at it.

The idea about private teacher is a good one, but I think that you first should try to help your child yourself. The problem you are facing is that you know way more than you child does so you get into situation where you can't, for example, explain something that involves solving a simple equation when your child has not yet had any introduction classes to those types of problems. Multiplication is probably almost a natural reaction to you, but depending on your child's age, you may need to take a totally different approach to the problem. I suggest you take its math book and workbook and try to judge the level of knowledge which is required. Like, come up with the list - there are no solving these types of problems, there is no multiplication of big numbers... (I'm just guessing because I don't know how old is your kid).

hi blayne
I think if you cant explain problems to your son then you should ask your questions here we will try and help you in every possible ways or else you can look around for math tutors so that your child can get the topic quite nicely.
The last suggestion I have for you is that you can search for online programs  where you can get help with algebra and precalculus.  

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

WHY put your kid though  another "torture session" by forcing him to go through tutoring?  NOT to be mean, but having to go to tutoring was way wose for me. I hated every second of it, and my mind would always "wander" so to speak. The teacher/tutor would trying to show me something, like HOW to work a problem, and out of the blue, I would bring up an off the wall subject. Guess that was part of fthe ADD.  Seemed like I had the attention span of a gnat, and I just could not focus on anything  and I would get so frustrated cause I did NOT understand it. I can only explain that as a big walll that nothing could get through no matter how hard I tried to understand it, but, it was NOT by choice that I had this "wall" nor was I being lazy.  More often than not there were tutoring sessions where I would start crying cause none of it made any sense to me. I constantly begged to try to NOT have to go. It made me feel like I was being punished cause it showed just how stupid I was. I guess if you tell a kid that he/she is stupid for long enough as often as classmates can, than chances are that the other students calling me names and telling me just how stupid I really was then it will come true.