Hi, I have a question about my son. I believe that he might be having some kind of speech disorder. He is four years old and his vocabulary is so much poorer than those of the rest of the children his age. A friend of mine has a three years old daughter who is more articulate than my son. I know that he does not have hearing problems because he understands perfectly what is being said to him. Do you have some experience with speech disorders in children? Will my son's talking ability improve in time or should I take him to see a speech pathologist?

Hi, I didn't have any personal experience with speech disorder in children, but a friend of mine has a son who was displaying symptoms similar to your son's problems. In fact, he was not able to say a single word until he was three years old. And even when he started to talk, we could barely understand what he wanted to say. My friend and her husband were very concerned about his speech development so they took him to see a specialist. The doctor determined that there was nothing wrong with the boy and that his only problem was the fact that he was just a little bit lazy. By the time he grew up for school his speech abilities were just the same as other children's. I hope that the same will happen with your son. However, because speech disorders can produce social problems for the children later in life, I think that it would be wise to take your son to a speech pathologist just to be safe. If it turns out that he has a speech disorder, the therapist will start a treatment to help your son overcome his problem.