Hello! My sister has a daughter. She is in the second grade of the primary school. Yesterday she told me the teacher called her and arranged an appointment with the school psychologist since he had suspected her daughter had cognitive disability. I don’t have children and I really don’t understand what cognitive disability is. What conditions are included in cognitive disability?

Hello! Well, the term of cognitive disability is very broad and sometimes is not well defined. Cognitive disability is based in the biology or physiology of the individual who has difficulty with one or more types of mental tasks. We can classify cognitive disabilities to clinical and functional. Clinical cognitive disabilities include autism, Down syndrome, traumatic brain injury, attention deficit disorder, dyslexia (difficulty reading), dyscalculia (difficulty with math), and learning disabilities in general. Functional disabilities include memory problems, problem-solving, attention, reading and verbal comprehension, math comprehension and visual comprehension.