My sister has a 13 year old son and he was diagnosed with Tourette's syndrome few weeks ago. We were all shocked when we heard the news, because we had no idea that the kid was sick. This is partly because we live in another city. Can I get more information about it?

Sorry to hear about your sister's son. Tourette's syndrome is a common childhood-onset condition. It can be associated with features of many other conditions. Tourette's syndrome is a neurological or neurochemical disorder characterized by tics. These tics are involuntary, rapid, sudden movements or vocalization that occurs repeatedly in the same way. Symptoms of Tourette's syndrome include multiple motor and one or more vocal tics present at some time during the disorder. The severity of the condition can range vastly and those with mild cases are often highly functioning. That is why others are not even aware of their condition. More severe cases can inhibit or prevent the individual from engaging in common activities, but these cases are in the minority. I hope that you are satisfied with my answer and that your sister's son will be ok.

he is not sic ki have tics and like him the doctors never verifide i had them until i was about 9. I am kow 18. tell him he will be ok they must not be too bad if they just found it he should be fine. tell him it nothing to worry about at all.

Hello!

I have had Tourette's for 56 years and I am not sick. I twitch and bark. It can get loud and be quite surprising, I scare my wife as we have been marrid for 16 years and she is still not used to it. It is an inconvenience, it is the way I am and to some extent I am glad to have it. As I do not have a bad case I function quite well. I make furniture, have had my own businesses and now work for the top house builder in the area do all kinds of work and running all the machinery that is involved in doing this.

Perhaps the most important thing to know is that as the inflicted you are loved by all . Though things may be tough at times remember that you are different and that you do not have to figure out some way to be differeent than those around you. You can spend your time figurign out who you are and what you want to do and be, you can work to be the best at whatever this is. If you have any concerns about those who also have Tourette's look at the WiKi for Tourette,s I think the URL is wiki.org then use their search feature.

I you ever want to cotact me didrectly please put Tourette's in the subject line as I get a lot f e-mail and I want to be sure to notice yours.

Remember that this is just a way to describe one of the many things you do, like playing the drums, or doing Math. It is probably more trouble for those around you as they worry about you and what you do. For you it is just something that happens.

Dale F. Victor

Dear Dale F. Victor
although i do not have turretts myself, my wife's brothers have it. my concern is her younger brother who is 16. he has been having a problem lately with pushing on his teeth. he has been doing it for some time now and has mannage to push one out. he feel that life isn't fair and he is just depressed about the it. what kind of advice or is there any type of medication that will help him out?

Marcus Scott

I have a 6 year old son, and we suspect he has turettes. His pediatrician told us that is very common for children to have little tics in there childhood. I would say that it has started in the summer of 2006. My question to you is...is it common for the tics to change? is this normal? or is it just a childhood tic and it should pass. Sometimes you don't see or hear anything at all for weeks, then all of a sudden you'll notice something different. It is highly frustrating for myself and my husband because his Dr won't say that he has it until the late spring, and i know how kids can be rude and make fun. I'm a worried mom and would like some answers on how to deal with it if there are any suggestions at all that would be greatly appreciated.

I was woundering why people get turretts, Whats the cause, and how can you cure it

i am so sorry to hear about your daughter. i will pray for you

I have a 12 year old son that has what the doctor calls tics. I am worried that it is something worse than that, because he can't sit still he jerks his head real bad and when he does this his whole body vibrates.It happens very frequently and he pops his jaw a lot and now he is constantly saying he doesn't feel good and hardly eats and is now under weight! I am very scared i don't know what is wrong he also seems very depressed and has no energy and is not the same playfull child he used to be and the kids at school are very cruel because not only does he have these tics but he has a severe learning disability that the school calls mild mental retardation so he gets picked on real bad and it hurts me cause he is the sweetest little boy you will ever meet what should i do?

[/size im doing a science project im in 7th grade and im instreted in this disease i want to know if it is currently being cured and what causes it i would love to know so plese e-mail me i cant fail!!!

**edited by moderator**

"that the kid was sick." are you serious? why would you make this sound like a discusting contagious disease? Not only was that unprofessional, it was rude. My boy friend has touretts and he is perfectly fine. he is not sick and it does not bother me one bit.

hi... i am currently an au pair for a child who has already been diagnosed with ADHG but i think it might be a bit more than that. could someone clearify the early signs and symtoms of torrent. as i have been told that he cant really be assesed untill he is 7? thank you so much. rentia

Hay I'm personally not going to say my name in this website because i think it's not safe. I have had Tourettes since i was born. Though my family have not noticed since i was about two years old. I've been living with tourettes for quite a while you could say. My tics have changed with in years. Though at my current age right now, my tics seemed to settle down./ I really hope that in the furture there will be a cure for Touretts. I go to a school, and i lot of my friends and people who go there dont' even know that i have touretts. They sometimes notice though they never really ask and when they do i guess i try to change the subject. I don't really know why i did that i guess it's because at my school, a lot of ppl don't really no a lot of ppl who have touretts. Even some of my friends make fun of ppl who have them but to me honest i don't really know what to do. I mean, i guess the reason i mostly keep this touretts thing to my self is because i'm sorta afrid what ppl will think. I am just raely confused. Should i tell them or should i not. And why? I mean i really don't know! lolz

~Anoynoums

i am 16 and i havent seen a doctor. but i am noticing i make wierd twitches. but i can sort of supress the twitching. at first i thought it was a bad habbit. but then things got worse as i moved on. i relized i had this problem about 2 years ago. its not a very fun matter. but i struggle to surpress it.

I have had tourettes for 30 years and have found it to be a good thing and bad thing. First the bad, when I was younger i was picked on for my jerking and sound makeing. Which was very hard for me to control, I went to a doctor and found out that it was hard to treat back in the 70s and early 80s. Now that im in my 30's m glad that i have it. You may ask why, well it has made me a stronger person and I work hard not to let it bother me. Having tourtettes has never come between me and any relationships that i have or work. I workout, play golf, and motorcross. So if anyone tells you that you are not normal because of tourettes just look at them and say just watch me.