Hello. I'm 35 year old female and I would like to find out more information about one speech disorder called stuttering.
You see, my little son who is only 10 years old and he has many problems with this very unpleasant speech flaw.
I though that this could be only temporary problem and that it will disappear in month or two, but I was wrong.
The problem is present for over year now and I simply don’t know what to do. Can someone tell me what is causing this speaking disorder and what is the best way to treat it?

Hi. I will tell you more about this speech disorder because I've had opportunity to read about it more.
From what I know about it- in this disorder normal flow of speech is disrupted by frequent repetitions or prolongations of speech sounds.
Some people have also problems with inability to start a word. It is very frequent and many people suffer from it.
I would like to tell you more about the cause but- the precise mechanisms that are causing stuttering are not understood. There are many things that you could do to help your son such as provide a relaxed home environment, tell him to speak slowly and refrain from criticizing.

Hi, it's really going to be okay. When I was a child I stuttered to badly that I couldn't say a word. The bad part is that my mother did not accept it. She would yell at me to finish what was saying and she'd hit me and sometimes even laugh at me along with my brothers and sisters. After a while, I stopped speaking much because that kept me out of trouble. I also started almost singing my words to say them, this really helped me. Stay calm and tell you son to take deep breaths before he speaks and speak slowely and please let him take his time getting it out. Please be patient and loving! He will be very frustrated when trying to speak, tell him you understand. My teachers really helped me. I was forced to read in group although it was very embarrassing and painful. She did not allow anyone in the group to laugh, thank god, and I began to read. Your son needs to read out loud in his room, alone at times and with you there at times. I am 42 years old and only stutter once in a great while, usually when I'm extemely nervous. I do know people that have never stopped stuttering into their adulthood, if this happens, thats okay to. Your son can and will have any chances that anyone else has. Good Luck!!!