Hello! My son has started with his school this September. We were all very excited. But then I noticed he had difficulties with reading and learning. I expected he would have some difficulties at first (like all children) but he started to be very unhappy when he noticed other children reading without problems. His teacher says he just needs more time but I am afraid. What specialist should I contact to test cognitive disability?

Hello! Some children need more time to get used to the school and they usually learn slow at first or have problems with reading. But, if you think your son’s problem affects his relationship with other children and his happiness you have to search for help. Every school has a school psychologist and he/she is the one who should be contacted first. You should talk to your son’s teacher again and ask to arrange an appointment with the psychologist. You can go together; that way the teacher will be involved which is very important. The psychologist will test your son and see if there are some cognitive disabilities or not. The most common cognitive conditions include attention deficit disorder, dyslexia (difficulty reading), dyscalculia (difficulty with math), and learning disabilities in general. They are not severe and with proper treatment good results can be achieved.

Quote:

My granddaughter had these problems but no one at the school ever said anything, because they thought it was normal. At the end of third grade, and beginning fourth this year 2008, my daughter met with the school, teachers, doctor, specialist, and insisted there was a problem, and sure enough, my granddaughter has border line "Dislexia". If my daughter would not insist, we would have never found out. My granddaughter is in a special program called IEP. Keep insisting, our kids are worth it.