Can boys go into puberty at age 9? My friends' son is becoming very aggressive, mouthy, and disrespective towards others. He is picked on alot a school for being different. The boy is showing outward growth as well as the change in behavior and mood swings. Could prescribed medications send boys into early puberty? He is on medication for ADHD.

That is a very good question, my son has been the same way and also on medication for ADHD

Hi kimrz,

The ADHD and medication that he is taking could explain his mood swings. Many ADHD medications have these side effects, and this is why it is important to go through all the side effects with your doctor. Considering the puberty question, well there have been cases of boys going in to the puberty period at this early. But it is not that common.

Do you know if your friend is taking these medications on regular basis? If there is a possibility that he is skipping medication this can cause even bigger side effects.  I think that main cause of this are the medication. Second opinion with other doctor could be a good thing to consider, regarding that even doctors can be wrong sometimes.