My son is on Metadate 20 mg. He is actually doing all right, but the problem is, he is loosing weight. He is on Metadate 20 mg from February and since then he lost almost 10 pounds!
Is this a “normal” side effect?

I do not think this is normal for a kid to be loosing weight because of medication. But Metadate is a central nervous system stimulant and seems almost natural to be loosing weight on Metadate. My son, for example was on Concerta 36 mg and he was loosing weight on these meds, so doctorswitched him to Metadate 20 mg in order to stop loosing it. The decision was right. He actually stared eating more regular and eating his lunch and dinner.
I guess, these medications work differently for every kid. I sincerely hope doctors and you will find a right solution for your son!

Hi. ummm I am 16 and i have had ADHD for a really long time, I am no longer taking medication for it..but anyway. while i was on any of my medications for ADHD, i lost weight and no matter what pill I used, i was still losing weight and a lot of the kids that i know that have ADHD had the same problem. Metadate worked well for me when i took it and now i am at a healthy weight range. I think ur son will be ok. good luck and i hope this helps.

My son takes the same medication and I give him slimfast in addition to his meals. So even if he doesnt complete or eat he is still taking in calories. Boast is something we use also in his school lunches, and although he isnt gaining weight he isnt losing weight.