Hi. My child was diagnosed with ADHD 10 years ago (he`s 16 now). He`s a good kid and my husband and I are trying to be as much as help as we can. However, sometimes I feel like meds and other therapies are not really effective. Should we stop the treatment? What are the risks of untreated ADHD?

Hi. My teen daughter was diagnosed with ADHD when she was 4 years old. The teen years are really difficult for children with ADHD. Children in that age want to be independent, to drink, take drugs, stuff like that. Without proper treatment the symptoms of disorder will become worse. The child must learn how to control his problem. I have read ADHD is a nutritional disorder. Omega-3 fatty acids, usually found in fish oils, are very helpful in treating depression and bipolar disorder.

My son has been on medications since he was 4 years old - started in day care with problems. He is now 15 years old. We have always struggled with his need/no need for medications. Over the last couple years he has started to tell us that he does not want to take it because he doesn't like how if makes him feel. My thoughts on ADHD and medications have recently changed when a family member tried getting my son to sell him his Ritalin. At this point, I started educating myself more than I ever have before. I searched the internet and got books from the library on 'life without Ritalin''Ritalin is not the answer'. I was impelled by what I learned to get him off and keep him off the Ritalin or any other stimulant. He is now only taking Celexa which helps with his anxiety and is doing well. Often ADHD kids are just experiencing frustration and stress. This medication helps with that. It is a big decision to make but the key points that I learned: Cocaine is also a stimulant and would we force our kids to take this just to conform to society and the needs of the teacher's at school? Teachers and school officials need to learn and know how to deal with kids with ADHD instead of telling them they need medications. My son is very smart and active, I do not want to change his personality. I want him to learn appropriate behavior and make good choices-and a pill won't do that. We are a PILL PUSHING society. You need to educate yourself and make decisions with your children. Listen to your children and offer them choices. My son told me "I am sick of everyone trying to help me" and he agrees to take responsibility for his actions. I insisted on a school meeting and a 504 plan for him. Children with ADHD have a federal right to a 504 plan so that teacher's communicate with parents and are consistent in their actions. In summary...educate yourself and your children, do what is best for them and not what is best for other's. listen to your children and work with what they are telling you. Certainly, there are children with ADD/ADHD that may indeed need the stimulants but use much caution and make educate choices. There are non-stimulant medications out there now too, always see if these are options since they are less harmful.

Hi I have 2 boys with ADHD 10yr old also has ASD and was dignosed when he was 5yrs old and 8yr old who was dignosed about a year ago. Both are on medications. With the 10yr old he wants to take it as knows it helps him to stay calm and in control. He is able to focus at school where if we forget he finds his school work very hard, he is very bright and loves school, which is very upsetting to him. There are times when he would rather not take it as likes feeling high. (Then people who take drugs do so to feel high we give him tablets to stop that)

The 8yr he hates taking the tablets but without them he has no self confidense and gets easily upset. When the dose is right he is a lovely boy who is happy to try new things.

Only you and your son can make the desion but we were told as they got older and reached adulthood there are not many medications that are of much help and children need to learn to control the behaviour themselfs. To this end we have the boys on the lowest dose we can so that they are not always dosed up and will still have hyper behaviour and can teach them how to control it.

Hope that makes sence not feel 100% today