Guys, I am extremely worried about my uncle. He had heart transplantation 27 days ago. He is really fine, doctors are surprised because everything was OK, the operation was successful without any problems. He was goo, everything was going in good direction until two days ago. He started to behave really strange! He doesn't want to go to the toilet anymore - you know what I mean. Everything that he supposed to do in the toilet, he does in the bed or simple in the middle of the living room. Also, he started to spit around house, this behavior is really strange. My question is - Changes in behavior after heart transplantation? Is this possible? 

Hi Coffee,

Yes, changes in behavior are somewhat common after a heart transplant.

Some of it may be due to his medication.  It can also indicate a neurological condition.  These are also common side effect of anesthesia.  Less likely, it could indicate a circulatory problem.

Notify his cardiologist of these changes ASAP.

Hi there. Yes, there are a possibilities that patient is going to change his behavior after the heart transplantation, because it is very serious surgery. But I just don't understand the behavior of your uncle; actually I have never heard that some person is behaving like this. Did you talked to your doctor about it?  Is your uncle at home or in the hospital? That is pretty much serious behavior. I know that people can feel into the depression, or be sad all the time. But this is something that I can’t explain. Like he changed his whole personality.  Good luck.

There is a possibility, but I think that in case of your uncle something else is wrong. I was watching some show a couple of months ago about this. I remember that one doctor was telling that there is a possibility that patient who received someone organ, in this case a heart, can change behavior completely.  He can adopt some characteristics from the donor and actually they can be negative. I believe that this is somehow connected with some cells, I am not sure. But I don’t know why he is acting like that. Doctors should do some tests immediately.

Hey there. I am really sorry to agree with this, but as you already could read about this, maybe you and your family should look for some help from someone who is expert for this. I know that cellular memory may actually change a heart transplant recipient's  and that it can make people reflect on their life, and feel different after the surgery. But this kind of the behavior is really strange. I know that when my mom had bypass surgery she had behavior , but it manifested in depression. I was sure that this is the worse change that can happen to someone.  

Good day friends. Here is what you need to know. When we are thinking and talking about post-transplant personality changes, you need to remember that transplantation have a major effect on the recipient's physical health. So, if your uncle is having this behavior this is be cause it affected his physical health. Many recipients would have been very sick and very dependent on their friends and family for long periods of time before their transplant. But after the heart transplants, their health and their independence often improves dramatically very quickly. So if your uncle has this type of the behavior, you should know that this will go away.

Hello guys. Thank you. Yes I am aware that those changes are really weird and we all were prepared to them, but basically we were thinking that he will be depressed or something like that. I never could assume that this is going to happen to him. Maybe it is because of the medication medic - dan, I notice that he is taking four or five different medications. He is at home now and we called his cardiologist today. He told us that he will be here soon, so we are expecting him now.