Hi there, I am a single mother who is 35 years old. I have a daughter who is 12. She just had her first period. My question might sound silly but I am confused nonetheless. Isn't it too early for puberty? I mean I had my first period only before my 14th birthday. What do you have to say about all of this?

Well what can I say? I surely can't say that it is too early because puberty doesn't come in a fixed time. It can come even with girls younger than yours. You should talk with her about this because it is always a tricky time for a girl. I remember the day when my girl entered puberty when she was 13. But anyway I hope that I helped.

My wife started her period at 9 years old and so did her daughter.

I blame all the growth hormone injected into our cattle and then children drink all the milk. Children are developing at younger ages, something has to account for it. ?

Nope its perfectly normal from the age of 9 years old.

Since everyone is different and there is not set time, yes she is perfectly normal and fine. We can not use our experiences to judge when our children will hit the same milestones.
If you are still overly concerned I would speak to her doctor. BUT if you have taken her to the doctor and theya re not worried, neither should you be.

i think theres nothing to worry about, i'm 12 and had my first at 11, my mom is a 3rd grade teacher and she had one of her 9 year olds start and when she taught 6th grade she had lots of girls start then. a lot of my friends have gotten it this year too

Having a first period at 12 is quite common. I am 13 and I started mine at age 10. Now, I'm still young so basically, I'm going to tell you the truth that I have NO idea why I and many other girls started so young. But my idea of it is that it's usually all in the genetics, which in my case it was, but I suppose in your daughter's case it wasn't. But genetics are only one of the causes of early periods, so obviously it wasn't that. I'm sorry if I couldn't help much but just so you feel better all my friends and I started at age 10, 11, and 12. So there is nothing at all to worry about your daughter starting puberty so early.

I dont think its bad to have your 1st period at 12, My mother had hers @ 11 I think that it is just hte way her body devoluped...

i think that the youngest girl ever to have her first period was a girl at the age of 8 years old. so it is ok

Karna
At our generation, the girls started about 13 or 14, now it will start early in the her generation, so it is normal to have her start what we thing is early, but she shound have shown her signs of puberty, more vaginal discharge, breast development, hair growth, and mood swings. she may not have another one for two to six months from now, 8) so Congratulate her on this milestone in her life, :-D keep the communications open and talk to her about the next few thing like masturbation, kissing and boys that are bad.....
So welcome to parenthood part two.
RT :-S

My daughter is 10. She started developing breast when she was 8. She started her period in Dec. 2007. Between age 8 & 10, she began having all of the wonderful mood swings, growth spurt, development of hair, etc. She is a red head on top of all the lovely changes. It has definately been challenging! But we have a good relationship and I have been there by her side thru all of the womanly changes. She started younger than I did. I was almost 12 when I actually started my period. But I did experience all of the pre-changes between age 10 & 12. I agree with earlier writer, I think the hormones in our food play a part in the way our children are growing...if anyone has any advice or information on this suggestion, please share with us. I'd like to know what foods to avoid! thanks