Hi! Can somebody give me any information about diabetic nephropathy? I read something about it and now I’m worry because I’m diabetic since my childhood. I know what the typical symptoms are but I’m interesting what happens in early stages of diabetic nephropathy. Does somebody with this disease can explain me? Thanks!

As you now, diabetic nephropathy is a complication that is caused by uncontrolled high blood sugar. High blood sugar can damage the filtering system of the kidneys. The diabetic nephropathy is characterized by high protein levels in the urine. At early stage, the kidney may start allowing more protein (albumin) than normal in the urine. Sensitive tests for albumin can indicate more protein in your urine. If you worry, do that urine test.

I suffer from uremic neuropathy, but the external symptoms are the same.

The first symptom you will notice will probably be numbness or aching (or burning) in your toes or fingers. This will eventually spread and if the damage continues you will lose limbs.

IMO, the best way to ward it off is to follow your diet. I know too many diabetics who eat what they want and fill the gap with extra insulin. They're the ones losing feet.