Hi. I`m 15 yo and my gf was diagnosed with diabetes when she was a kid. She often complains that she`s fat or something and I told her to eat more fruit. She said that she can`t eat some fruit, such as strawberries, because of the sugar. My aunt is a diabetic and she eats fruits like all the time. Is my gf right?

Hi. She don`t have a clue man. She can eat all fruits and veggies. The more the better. Fresh fruits are highly recommended for people with diabetes. Strawberries, bananas, grapes, you name it. My aunt is nuts about grapes and lemons. Diabetics can eat them all, regardless of the sugar inside. Fruits and veggies are high in fibre, vitamins and minerals and the right food for everybody, not just diabetics.

Edwina said:

Hi. She don`t have a clue man. She can eat all fruits and veggies. The more the better. Fresh fruits are highly recommended for people with diabetes.
Edwina, you're soooooo wrong!! Diabetics cannot consume all the fruit they want!

I am a controlled diabetic and have been though tons of classes and studied up, plus I see a registered dietician. Fruits must be limited in diabetic people. I can have a HALF of an apple, HALF of a small orange, 2/3 of a regular banana, etc. Foods for diabetics should be weighed to determine the amount of carb grams in them, since ALL carbs are converted to sugar, whether from fruit, bread, or candy turn into glucose and enter the bloodstream. Diabetic women can have 2 to 3 carb servings (15 grams each) per meal. If you have snacks containing carbs, then that must be deducted from meal allotments. So, that figures up to 90 to 135 grams TOTAL per day of carbs. Since 2 slices of bread contains about 30 grams of carbs, it is easy to see how quickly the carbs would add up. Diabetics must be watchful of portions sizes and carb content of everything they eat! Vegetables, on the other hand, can be eated with gusto, almost as much as you want, for most of them are very low in carbs. Eating fiber also slows down carb absorption, so if you MUST have a frozen yogurt, then you better be eating fiber, too! Metamucil anyone?!Certain veggies such as carrots, cucumbers, and tomatoes can have more carbs, which is why food needs to be weighed and the macronutrients calculated. Again, fruit consumption must be restricted in diabetics, even though they are "good" for us in other ways.