Hi, I have a friend who is a type 1 diabetic. We have only been friends for a short time but it worries me cos he is using cocaine when we are out drinking on a Friday and sometimes Saturday night. I have tried to tell him that it is no good for him but he won't listen. Can you please help and tell me some more information about what it is doing to him and how it is killing him more.

Well, Type I Diabetes, as I'm sure you know, is a condition in which the body does not produce any insulin so blood sugar levels are typically higher than normal if not under tight control. For your friend, the drinking is actually far more dangerous than the cocaine is. (And I'm not saying that the cocaine is safe).

Mixed drinks are typically made with very sugary "mixers" which cause an immediate rise in blood sugar. Beers will also contain unprocessed sugars which will raise blood sugar levels. In addition, the liver processes alcohol into sugar amongst other things. While processing alcohol, the liver cannot produce sugar that it typically does and that the Diabetic person is accostomed to. Therefore, hours after they have stopped drinking the basal insulin level that they inject will wind up being far too much and their blood sugar level will drop to the point that they could wind up in a coma.

How do I know all this? I too am a Type I Diabetic and had to learn the hard way how alcohol can be dangerous. I nearly lost my life on multiple occasions because I wasn't thinking about the future. Now I don't use cocaine, but I do know a good deal about the compound.

Cocaine is a CNS stimulant. It causes constriction of blood vessels, and increase in heart rate and blood pressure, and a "euphoric" feeling for the user. In addition, when consumed alongside alcohol, the liver metabolizes it into a compound (cocaethylene) which is just as active as Cocaine is if not more! So the user has a longer "rush" and a more intense one, albeit at a greater risk of complications.

For a diabetic, the cardiovascular system is constantly being "damaged" by the higher blood sugar levels. This causes heart problems later in life, and kidney damage which is typically what kills a Type I Diabetic. Cocaine further attacks these systems and organs by raising blood pressure and constricting blood vessels. Kidney damage can be intensified through the use of cocaine and the results of this damage may not be noticed until much later in life.

I hope this information is helpful and will help your friend make better decisions with his life. Just remember, he's the only one who can make the final decision with his life. Try not to pressure him too much.

Amazing explications even better than a doctor do you have a contact ?

vini

vinnimalli wrote:

Guest wrote:

vini

Interesting read. Is there any research into the use of cocaine regulating blood sugar levels in Type 1 diabetics?

I am 22 yrs old and I currently have Type 1 diabetes, and I say "currently" because I believe our generation will find a cure. The use of cocaine is becoming more and more popular every day not only in the party scene, but in the regular social lifestyles of the youth. On the golf courses, B & N, in the class rooms of our universities, or the personal stash in the kitchen cabinet of your classmates apartment that is occasionally pulled out for when the members of your group, assigned by the class instructor, come over to work on the weekly assignment.

I've had diabetes over a decade now. I first tried cocaine at the age of 19 in college with a group of 6 friends. It was a small get together, not a raging college party. Before this day, I was the kind of diabetic that never followed his diet, rarely checked my blood sugar, and frequently disagreed with the doctors sliding scale and insulin to carb ratios. Growing up, I heard the horror stories of cocaine addiction through family members with a huge background in law enforcement. My argument there, most involved in those horror stories were already felons from dysfunctional families. There are studies of the brain stating that if one is NOT raised in a proper and healthy upbringing (classified as; minimal stress; no mental, physical, or sexual abuse; no sense of abandonment {secured by holding a crying infant, not ignoring it}; and professional therapy when something detrimental happens in the family such as death of a family member) the person affected suffers trauma not only in the brain but the DNA characterizing the individual influencing abnormal or inappropriate urges or activity.

Acknowledging my background and feeling secure about it, I did a line. But the curiosity of how this would effect my blood sugar levels still lingered. I checked my blood sugar roughly 10 minutes before I did it (figured I should know where I'm at...) It was in the low 200's or something, it was a while ago.. and then again about 20 minutes after, down in the 100's. I had an increase in energy of course but it's not like I was exercising. We sat around and chit chatted listening to music. I remember having some snacks and checked my blood sugar again. Still in the 100's, no shot. Back to chit chatting. My blood sugar was steady 100's through the night. I left around 3 am to go home and go to bed. After taking my 24 hr shot. I slept. Woke up mid afternoon under 100.

The day after my blood sugars were great. Then they were back to high 200's and 300's 2 days later. Constantly taking insulin for high blood sugars.. just like "before" BUT the thing that did change, was my level of concern for checking my blood sugars and knowing where they were and being more proactive in taking care of myself.

I'm NOT saying my insulin doesn't do its job, because it does. It's all about taking the correct dosage. And the past 3 yrs have been far better than the first 9 or 10 yrs of having diabetes.

I do not have a cocaine addiction but I have used it more than once with similar blood sugar results. This only increases my curiosity of how it effects the blood sugar levels of the human body. I am a firm believer in MODERATION. Anything can become a bad habit if you are familiarizing yourself to it frequently and enjoying it. I also feel that I am mentally stable and that maybe those who are not, are the ones creating problems in the communities while they are under the influence of cocaine.

Conclusion: I don't need cocaine to have a good time. I love my life, my friends, the world. I feel great when my blood sugars are at good levels. If cocaine does influence regulated blood sugar levels, that could explain the high self esteem experienced under the influence. Out of curiosity, I have become my own lab rat and my longest test was logging a week under the influence with great results. MODERATION. I can't say it easier than that. Perhaps our generation can change the world, so long that we can put our pride and selfishness aside.

I would also like to hear some feed back on your question 

im type 2

I have type 1 diabetes, i had symptoms from the age of 26/27 but only had my pancreas fianally give up when i was 31, i knew this as i could sleep 16 hours a day and still be tired, i could eat loads and always be hungry and finally i lost 10kilos in a month of doing nothing but sleeping and eating. I've always been a recreational drug user (most bar meth crack and heroin). my stupid overuse of drugs (mostly cocaine) masked my diabetes, i'd have real bad low points: like days in bed and put it down to cocaine overuse i.e comedown or missed meals or oversleep or lack of sleep, i also didnt want to see my doctor as i knew he'd just point out the obvious and make me feel ashamed about my major over use of cocaine, i awlays said " i'll beat my addiction then i'll see the doctor" but i never did beat my addiction. I was in a bad place for the 6 months before my diagnosis i was using atleast 0.7 of a gram every evening after work and 3.5grams on a friday and saturday, on a sunday i'd abstain and eat 3 huge meals and lie around thinking i'd replenish my body but the huge carb dump from sunday would result n me being in bed for days the following week, i put this down to depression due to the comedown from a five day binge and partly it was, but for years i'd done it and been fine.

i know i'm rambling but my point is now if i do cocaine in the evening after regular meals and with plenty of insulin used that day i feel nowhere near as good as i used to feel before my symptoms started to show, i drink more and smoke more which is normal for cocaine users but big no-no's for diabetics, also i'm more likely to be paranoid about my sugars due to the drinking, if i use cocaine and my sugars go above 10mmol/L i feel horrific i can feel my blood burning in my forearms and ive tested for ketosis and the strip went to the most extreme reading within seconds, i can have sugars above 10 off cocaine and i'll rarely be in ketosis, i believe that cocaine elevates my heart rate, restricts my blood vessels, effects my breathing, keeps me up for 6-12 hours without food and all that together with the worry majorly strains my body.

like other people i've been my own labrat and changed all variables to see if i could get back to the old high i used to feel. i find if i do cocaine in the early evening i'll miss my evening meal, this never goes well, i feel hollow and gaseous and ill, so i dont miss my evening meal and injection. I really hate cocaine without alcohol so i've experimented with alcohol too, i find that beer with regular injections for their carb contents means that i'm constantly storing glucose which really helps counteract the strain from the meals i'm missing from being up all night.

basically i think that being diabetic makes me aware of all my behaviours and i see it as algebra but it took lots of doing drugs and testing and concentrating (which is kind of defeating the point of getting mashed)  to find out that all drugs accept LSD arent really worth doing when diabetic. these are my findings:

1) cocaine- increased drinking and smoking and missed meals and strain= worry at the least if it goes well ( i eat my evening meal i keep my sugars below 10 with regular injections to conunterat each beer) but if it doesnt go well and i get drunk and forget to inject or inject  feeling horrific i.e burning skin,laboured breathingetc which really defeat the purpose of cocaine which is social interaction (hard to do when feeling like sh*t and worrying) . It can be done well but it happens so  rarely and there are so many things that i must do that it defeats the object.

2) marijuan- i was a massive pot head every evening for 10 years but i quit when my symptoms started showing at 26 because i was having massive mood swings, (funnily enough it was when i quit weed that my cocaine use sky rocketed) i find weed now makes me feel hollow and ill, i believe its because although it doesnt change my glucose readings if effects my bodies ability to use glucose hence the munchies.

all other uppers e.g MDMA and speed agitate my body so its like doing cocaine, ketamin i never liked anyway, LSD is good as eating is amazing and i dont get agitated or stressed although if you do too much and lose  it for hours its risky lol.

I just think your mate is like most of us diabetics: we want to be able to do as you do, we want to do as we like and someone telling us we shouldnt is so frustrating.......we f*****g know!!! we gotta stick a needle in our body everytime we eat, we gotta have sugars on us incase we hypo, we lose 10 years of our life and we have well meaning friends f*****g patronise us, theres very little information on the net about effects of drugs on baibetics thats why i tested myself and why i ended up here. i suggest you leave him alone now, it should be touching that you care but to him its probably f*****g infuriating, he knows hes got diabetes let him enjoy his cocaine.

i want to be anonymous on here but if any diabetics wanna share their findings with me i'd be over the moon, sorry for rambling and my bad grammar.

My husband is type 1 diabetic who has been insulin dependent for 40 years. He is an alcoholic who also has used cocaine weekly for the past 7 years. I just recently discovered this. I am devastated learning that he is doing this to his body. I want him to get help, which he has agreed to do. But I am scared for our future and for our young child. Any suggestions?

I am also a type 1 Diabetic since i was 13 years old. I am now 22 and have experimented with cocaine. I had the same affect as you, it immediately regulated my blood sugar. I am wondering how it works. Even the following days after it stays regulated, I understand your point about Moderation too. Would love someone to do research into this

I know you posted this over a year ago but my husband is a type 1. And he died three months ago overdose on cocaine, he was only 28 years old. So if your husband is doing it please help him to stop. My husband died inside the home while our 6 kids was there after a long night of partying