I`m 32 and my doctor told me that I probably have a kidney disease. So I did a urine albumin test to measure the amount of protein in urine. I fear of abnormal test results. Is there anybody who could tell me more about the test? What are normal amounts of protein in urine anyway?

Hi. A urine albumin test is most often performed when kidney disease is suspected. Normally, you don`t have a protein in your urine, man. Some proteins will appear in the urine if the levels of protein in blood become high (even when the kidneys are working good). If you have a kidney disease, protein will appear in the urine (even with normal blood levels). The normal values are approximately 0 to 8 mg/dl.

a normal 24 hour urine collection for protein should be any where from 0- 149mg. my daughter has SLE (lupus) and we frequently run a CBC and full urine collection tests. her protein level started at 570mg and now being on cell cept medication she is down to 334. she has been on meds for 10months. do not mess around with protein in your urine- it can cause some serious damage~ my daughter is onlt 6 yrs old and some days are tough for her ~ bless you in your search