Hi! Recently, somebody told me that people with diabetes should not eat bananas. I can’t believe that it’s true. My doctor said that all kind of fruits are good for diabetics. I know that banana is sweet, but that is sugar fructose witch isn’t dangerous for diabetics. Why diabetics can not eat bananas?

You have right, fructose from banana is ok for diabetics but that’s not the problem. You probably know that diabetes can cause many chronic kidney diseases. Some diabetics with these kinds of problems need to be on low-potassium diet. Banana belongs to group of higher potassium fruits (with avocado, papaya, orange, nectarine).

Hello there eydie1759,

As you can see every day we find out something new. I was very surprised myself when I have find out that diabetics shouldn’t be eating bananas but of course this is not the rule and it is not applying for every type of diabetes as well.

We are all different and different things are affecting on us in different ways. Bananas are containing fructose which is fine to be consumed by the diabetics but as billie1208 has already mentioned they belongs to group of higher potassium fruits and this is something that certain diabetics needs to take care of.

Now we both know the answer so we can share it with the people who are not aware of this.  

Whoever told you that the sugar from fruits was OK for diabetics must be a fruit merchant. Sugar is sugar where ever you get it from. Fructose is sugar produced from fruit and like any other, if you have too much of it, it will affect your levels, and if you are diabetic it will drive them high. Moderation is the word in all foods for diabetics and, of course, exercise. 

Regarding bananas, under ripened is better, but in moderation. They are very good for you as a natural food.

Yeah, my friends got diabetics after eating too much bananas daily..that is a LOL

Lots of fruits cannot be eating as a diabetic. I was on a high restricted diet to keep my levels under 130. Only fruit I was allowed to eat was berries. NO anything else. Including Banana's, Apples, and grapes. No mango, no peaches... ect Sugar is sugar no matter what. And now I have had to limit my strawberries unless I buy organic. Strawberries are now being modified or injected with sweeteners. And don't be fooled about artificial sweeteners as well. Artificial sweeteners trick your body into producing insulin when it should which cause the adrenal glad to work harder and eventually hardly work. Best thing to do, and I know its really hard for me to say this because I love sweet tea and chocolate ice cream is minimizing and controlling your sugar intake. Your body does NEED sugar for energy so if you know that aren't doing any kind of exercise, including walking enough where your heart rate increases, Limit yourself on sugar. Drink lots of water.