I have 10 years old son who became sick in last few days. I have noticed he has fever and he was complaining about headaches. Then I saw something swell between his ear and jaw, which seems to be painful to him. Off course, I took him to the doctor. He told me my son has mumps, so I would like to hear more about it, because this is first time for me to hear about this term.

Mumps is a disease caused by a virus, which usually spreads through saliva. This virus might infect many parts of the body, especially the parotid salivary glands, what happened to your son. The parotid salivary glands, which produce saliva for the mouth, are found toward the back of each cheek. That is an area between the ear and jaw, where you have noticed swelling and pain. It used to be very common problem before vaccine was produced; now we have few cases of mumps. Usually we found children between 5 and 14 years affected with this disease. When mumps occur, both the left and right parotid glands may be affected. Usually it happens that one side swells a few days before the other, or only one side may swell. In rare cases, mumps will attack other groups of salivary glands, and not parotids. If this happens, swelling may be noticed under the tongue, under the jaw, or any other part of the body.