Although I have heard that hidradenitis suppurativa does not present prior to puberty I have few questions. I want to hear if that is true it does not happen before puberty because the apocrine glands are inactive until triggered by a surge in sex hormones. My mother told me that this condition might be observed in patients of any age after puberty. Now I started to be interested into this problem, since my mother has it. Off course, she cannot tell me more about this, so I would like you to give me info about problem called hidradenitis suppurativa.

Hidradenitis suppurativa is an annoying chronic condition characterized by swollen, painful, inflamed lesions. Usually it occurs in the axillae, groin, and other parts of the body that contain apocrine glands. The disease is a chronic acne-form infection of the cutaneous apocrine glands that also can involve adjacent subcutaneous tissue. This condition occurs when apocrine gland outlets become blocked by perspiration or are unable to drain normally. The reason why this happens could be incomplete gland development, common cause for hidradenitis suppurativa. Secretions trapped in the glands force perspiration and bacteria into surrounding tissue, causing subcutaneous, inflammation and infection. Ingrown hairs are a predisposing factor for hidradenitis suppurativa, thus an increased incidence of the disease occurs in patients with tightly curled hair. The incidence of hidradenitis suppurativa is greater in females than in males, where flare-ups have been associated with menses. Tetracycline and erythromycin may be helpful on a long-term basis, and cephalosporins often will help in acute cellulitis and hidradenitis suppurativa. Consideration must be given to using a sulfonamide or clindamycin antibiotic because of the growing presence of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in short and long-term treatment.

Look, Hidradenitis suppurativa, is also known as acne inversa. This is a chronic skin disease characterized by recurrent boil-like lumps under the skin at the specific areas. They can come, they go, but they return almost always. So many hidradenitis suppurativa causes are there, but in the case when you are dealing with something like this that is ugly, painful and it won't go away, the cause is the last thing that you are worried about. Anyway, HS can appear even before the puberty, I know that one of my neighbors had a daughter, she was 7 years old and she had this. There are no rules, it seems.   

This is what I found as well...still getting me nowhere...or relief.

Hidradenitis is a chronic disease of the apocrine glands (a form of sweat gland found on certain parts of the body). For unknown reasons, people with hidradenitis develop plugging or clogging of their apocrine glands. It causes chronic scarring and pus formation of the underarms (axilla) and groin/inner thigh areas. In women it can also occur under the breasts. It is similar to acne, which is also a disease of the sebaceous glands. Hidradenitis is more common in people who have had acne. It may be an unusual type of adult acne.

This condition is slightly more common in women and African-Americans. Hidradenitis usually starts as one or more red, tender, swellings in the groin or armpits. Over a period of hours to days the lesions enlarge and often open to the skin surface draining clear to yellow fluid. The involved area then heals with scarring. The condition usually continues for years with periods of flare and remission.

Bacterial infection produces the pain and odor. Hidradenitis is made worse by being overweight, however this condition is not caused by obesity and weight loss will improve but not cure hidradenitis. Hidradenitis may become worse under stress. Hidradenitis is not caused by poor hygiene.

Initial treatments are usually oral antibiotics (minocycline, tetracycline, erythromycin, Augmentin, others) and topical antibiotics (clindamycin or erythromycin). Intralesional injections into the affected places reduce swelling and tenderness within days. Anti-inflammatory pills (Celebrex, Advil, Naprosyn, Alleve, and others) are helpful in addition to the antibiotics, especially if it is a severe case. Some women respond to high estrogen birth control pills (Demulen 1/50 Ortho Novum 1/50) and spironolactone pills.

Tight fitting clothing and shaving the areas are to be strictly avoided. Dirt does not cause hidradenitis. The involved areas should be cleaned daily using an antibacterial soap, as this will reduce any odor associated with this condition. Retin-A cream, a prescription, helps some people. Accutane, a drug for severe acne, offers modest help for moderately bad cases. There is medical control, but not cure for hidradenitis.

Surgery is the most effective treatment for recalcitrant hidradenitis. Aggressive surgery will cure an area of severe, chronic hidradenitis but it has to remove scarred tissue or even large areas of skin. Skin grafts may be needed. Incision (lancing) and draining will reliably help smaller affected areas. Because surgery scars and may have complications, medical treatments are usually tried first.

:$
I have had HS for almost 16 years...It started when i started puberty..
Seems like the older I get, the more often i have flare ups..which are almost every 3rd or 4th month.
I get embarrassed sometimes because the infection has a bad ordor and i hate to be around people.